Small presentation and first thought

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Mondemeilleur, Jul 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mondemeilleur

Mondemeilleur Active Member

Status Points:
    Dear All

I am a young french (24 years old) traveling around Asia but mostly based between Sri Lanka and HK. My father has been flying for years so I am familiar with the "concept" of miles earning.

However I am now traveling by my own, mostly for my own business it's time to think "smart" and try to get the most of my flights.

As I intend to keep travelling in Asia and the world for the next 35 years of my short life and due to my business, I was thinking to join the one world program and may be the Marco polo from Cathay. Here are my newbie question:

- Is one world and marco polo the same program or do you have to apply for both?
    - Do you think that marco polo program is the best from the "one world" as I mostly travel in Asia in economics ( for now)?
    - I also heard about Star alliance what do you think about those 2?
    - Can somebody send me a link to a page explaining all your abbreviation?
    - If you have any advice on how to earn miles I would be happy to read about them

Thank you for your time

Gargoyle, MX and uggboy like this.
  2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:

I can answer a couple of questions.

"One World" is the name of the alliance that Cathay belongs to and their ff program is named Marco Polo. If you join the Marco Polo program you will earn miles in that program that you can then use to fly on other airlines in the alliance. That is how most of the programs work. There are 3 alliances: Oneworld, Skyteam and Star.

If you double click on an abbreviation the meaning should show up in the upper right hand corner of the page. Some abbreviations sort of made up so there may not be a definition.

Hope this helps some.

3. Mondemeilleur

Status Points:
    Thank you Travel Bear for your answer! It's very helpful! I also would like to know if the miles you are earning during a year can be kept as long as you have a card? Or are they cancelled every year?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This depends on the particular airline's FF program rules. Some miles expire in several years, some expire if there are no flights or no activity in the FF account for a year or more, and some programs say that miles never expire (they're just devalued).

Mondemeilleur and TravelBear like this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also be aware that some programs limit how many miles you earn for flying. I think when you said economics you meant economy (class on the airline)?
    There are many "fare codes" for an economy ticket and some won't earn ANY miles, some will earn 50% of miles flown and some 100% (and if you ever fly business or first you may earn bonus miles). This depends on the airline and you have to look at their rules - for example (and these are not accurate) if you belong to Singapores program you may earn NO ff (frequent flyer - just highlight the ff and the definition will appear in blue on the upper right) on an "s" fare, but United may offer 100% mileage credit in their program for an s fare on their own metal (that is a not a code-share flight but an actual flight operated by that airline)

If you know which routes and airlines you are most likely to use in the next few years we are able to provide better information (but that doesn't preclude doing some research yourself)

6. Mondemeilleur

Status Points:
    Thank you MSPeconomist and estnet for your help. I just checked for the marco polo website and it seems that in economy S class is not awarded. It seems that for my next flight end of august I will be awarded only half of the trip as on my departure ticket it's M class (100%) and return S class.
    Are you many having Marco polo ff program?
    When booking your ticket are you using directly the airline website or through an agent?
    Let's hope that staying with one program will pay off at one point!

Thank you for your advices

7. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:

I don't know if Marco Polo gives preferred upgrades or anything similar to the US Airlines, but this: (http://www.webflyer.com/programs/ratings_and_reviews/program.php?key=CXA01) has info and a review from 2009. In my experience though "Western" Frequent Flier programs are generally easier to redeem.

I've been a Star Alliance guy for the past few years, and travel to Asia at least a couple times a year. I've found that it gives a reasonable amount of flexibility, between 5th freedom rights in some cases, and the fact that you've essentially got 2 "hubs" (SIN, BKK) in SE Asia, and a handful in North Asia (PEK, NRT, ICN, TPE to name a few). I think that helps if you're traveling multiple routes.