Small PC Fire on JL061 on Sep 1 2011

Discussion in 'JAL | Mileage Bank' started by JALPak, Sep 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a small fire incident caused by PC equipment onboard on JL061 (LAX-NRT) on Sep 1 2011. When flying over Anchorage, a PC Wi-Fi router caught on fire. The well trained crew put off the fire immediately and one of the passengers' index finger was burnt as a result. All of the other 257 passengers and crew members were not injured.

http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=soc_30&k=2011090200893

Another report on Sankei: http://sankei.jp.msn.com/affairs/news/110902/dst11090220410018-n1.htm

Apparently Sankei couldn't tell the differences between HND and NRT :rolleyes:

Did a router get stuck in between the seat back and the shell in the NEO seat and it broke when the passenger adjusted the seat? What kind of router is that? Did someone drop his/her personal router there or it's part of the seat/IFE (which I doubt since it's a wi-fi one)?

NYBanker likes this.
  2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way load is good on this flight...almost a full house :D

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    (a) Is there really such a thing as a small fire on a plane?
    (b) What is this (presumably) pax doing with a wifi router in operation during the flight?
    (c) Automated translation can be pretty funny.

Here is the Google translation of the article. I recognize how tough translation is...but find a few of their translations quite funny. (Underlining is mine)

Watch out for the Ministry of Land and Sunlight...they're tough guys!

Fingers burnt on board a man-PC devices Nikko fire - ministry

2 days 20 minutes 10 am (Japan time) around, in Narita Japan Airlines flights from Los Angeles in 61 flying over the Pacific Ocean about 2100 km south-southwest of Anchorage north of U.S. computer equipment fires Japanese men in their 40s , burned part of the seat auditorium, a man burned right index finger.
     No other injuries to the 257 passengers and crew, the aircraft around at 4:50 in the afternoon almost on time and landed at Narita Airport.
     According to the Ministry of Land and sunlight, the man was sitting down the back of business class seats, and back was to go to the toilet, radio equipment for PC between the seat and backrest "Wi-Fi Router "caught the break, firing. Soon the fire went out, could singe the sheet 2 inches square. (2011/09/02-22: 22)

viguera and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's not a operating router, just one that stuck there. It's probably one of those Mi-Fi devices with battery inside and when it broke, it "exploded" a little bit?

NYBanker likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can things explode a little?

6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    yea i watched Bear Grylls on Man vs Wild. He used his knife to break a cellphone battery and caused a rather small explosion, just enough to light a fire. So the seat breaking the battery should result in something similar right? :p

sendaiben likes this.
  7. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume that's Google Translate? Sometimes the results they get are hard to explain.

This one is the weirdest. "Sunlight" is apparently how they translated JAL's abbreviated name in Japanese, which is Nikko (日航) as in the hotel chain. The word for sunlight is also pronounced nikko but written with a different second character (日光). This means that either (a) Google's software somehow read the text "out loud" to itself and picked a homophone as the basis for its translation, or [more likely, I think] (b) someone made this mistake in a translation and Google used it as part of its source corpus, which shows how vulnerable their software is to compounding human errors.

The rest of the highlighted points are just bad wording choices, e.g.

This was supposed to be something like "got caught between the seat and backrest, broke, and burst into flames"

NYBanker and JALPak like this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detail. Indeed, translation is getting close, but its got a long way to go to be perfect.

I like Google's read better! ;)