Small Business Saturday

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by MX, Nov 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    vickers, iolaire, lapointdm and 2 others like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Registered all four cards. And if you participate at a retail store and spend more than the $10 minimum (or maybe about $30-50) ask the clerk for one of the nice bags that AMEX has provided. They are good quality Canvas Bags with the Shop Small emblem on one side and a nice generic pattern on the other. Good Grocery, or Book Bags. In a pinch could be a gym bag or a daytrip bag.

3. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    bluebird and serve work - which is awesome. Too bad target red card does not, but for those with serve or bluebird at least they will get another option!

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope everyone was able to register all their Amex cards. So tell us how will you be participating? with $10 per transcriptions and 3 per card that means we will need to make 15 transactions. My family is spending the weekend in Boston, a little dining, and shopping in the Faneuil Hall/ Quincy market area. Shop small shows a lot of merchants in the area, looking froward to great day.

icurhere2 and vickers like this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My local liquor store is a small business Amex location. I'm a little worried that liquor won't qualify but the t&c don't seem to exclude it like rumors I've heard.

Maybe I could combine this with the awful IHG hotel promo and make it: "Into the night drunk as heck into the night promo" :)

DJP_707 and icurhere2 like this.
  6. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of my previous year purchases were for adult beverages and gift cards at small local restaurants - I'm transiting two airports today, so I get meals and Christmas gifts this year instead.

The part that's new in the T&Cs is that gas stations will not count this year.

daninstl and DJP_707 like this.
  7. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Liquor stores were good last year. I purchased some wines at my local store.

daninstl likes this.
  8. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never really thought about gas stations, but thanks letting us know, I hadn't read that in the T&C.'s

daninstl likes this.
  9. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's almost over. Getting my last three charges at Dinner tonight. At lunch we split the check 3 ways on 3 Amex cards.
    Amex is pretty quick with the email confirmations, got most before we the left the small business.
    And the Shop small canvas shopping bags are pretty nice. Thanks Amex for supporting small business. small.jpg

icurhere2 and MX like this.
  10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I checked the map for places near where I live, that might carry something I'd be interested in, and made a list.

Fortunately, I had a lot of places on the list as "Plan Bs". When I went on my hunt today, I was amazed at how many of the stores on my list were no longer in business (doesn't the site update their list and map?), and then some didn't take AMEX. All in all, reasonably successful. I got some nice stocking-stuffers and a case or two of beer at nice discounts (so long as the statement credits ultimately show up).

I'll plan a bit more in advance next year . . .

icurhere2 and MX like this.
  11. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was surprised how few of the businesses were actually promoting small business Saturday, most didn't have any signs or stickers. I saw only a couple that were really into it. One shop had small business sat. door mats, pins and they were actively giving out the canvas bags. A couple places that took Amex had no clue what we were talking about when we inquired about shop small. But I got the email conf. from Amex each time i mad a purchase.

icurhere2 likes this.
  12. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Similar experience. 3 for 3 with no idea it was happening. 1 of 3 saying they did not take amex or promote it on their door. Asked the owner, though before sitting down to eat, so already knew it was accepted.

13. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know. I saw a few that had the door stickers and we passed by a bookshop that went all out. We went to a small guitar store to buy some small Christmas gifts for my son. My wife handed over her Amex and the clerk said "oh i'm sorry that's the only card we don't take" he conferred with the owner and found out that they recently started taking Amex but really didn't like it due to the higher fees. We told him that he was on the small business map and one of the few in his area on the map and that we would never have found him otherwise.

flyforawg, MX and icurhere2 like this.