Sleeping in LAS?

Discussion in 'Airports' started by BurBunny, May 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doing a MR over the 4th of July, and have a layover from 12:30A to 6A on the morning of the 5th. I can grab an inexpensive night at the Fairfield Inn LAS, but other than a shower (and the next leg is my homeward leg), not sure it's worth it for that short a time frame.

SleepingInAirports.com only lists information from a few years ago on LAS, but doesn't sound very favorable. Looking for more recent input. Any place to curl up (more specifically stretch out after 24 hours of flying) for a few?

Factors to consider: flying CO/UA, single woman. I have good "commuter" instincts as to my surroundings, and of course not oversleeping. Mostly just looking for a quietish place to sit where I can be comfy for a few hours.

What do you all think?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAS is busy as hell all times of day AFAIK... on the 4th of July weekend it's probably going to be a nuthouse and you're most likely not gonna get any sleep anyway. Between the slot machines and people running around the airport, I doubt you'll be able to curl up anywhere -- anywhere safe anyway -- and get some shut-eye, so you should either plan to head into town and sleep or better yet head into town and gamble for 3-4 hours, then head back to the airport and go home.

-- edit:

You know what, I take that back. There's a very nice area near the last WN gate on the new terminal that has a few shops upstairs and the gates downstairs. You might be able to crash nearby, but it would be rather obvious.

3. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I grew up around the high roller tables in Vegas and Tahoe (dad ran junkets and played with the big boys), so going into town in the wee hours of the 5th with all the holiday amateurs holds absolutely no appeal to me. But the WN gate area might work. How easy is it to get to the new terminal inside security from UA/CO's gates?

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CO President's Club is near T1's gate 35 right? I know last time I was over at McCarran it looked like the crazy construction was in full effect (as always) and they had shifted a lot of the WN gates (along with Virgin) over to Concourse B -- but you could still get there on foot via the bridge behind the C annex security checkpoint.

To be honest you'd be much better off waiting for someone that just flew into LAS over the last few weeks to make sure you get accurate info. The ramp renovation near C was being done in stages until 2012, so I have no idea if the airport even looks the same today as it did last time I was there. :)

5. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that it's past the fifth, just wondering, what did you end up doing?

viguera likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering that myself.

7. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too... I would have said just party on the Strip all night long had I seen this thread earlier!

Last year I took an all night road trip from LA to LV... good times. Arrived into LV around 1:30am played all night till about 7:00am and then drove home. Good times!

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  8. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wimped out, was able to do a SDC to a later flight the next morning out of LAS, so got myself a cheap room at the Courtyard and slept for a few hours. Only spent enough time in the airport to deplane, grab a cab, then on the way out went from the doorway through elite security and literally walked right onto the plane.

The sleep felt absolutely heavenly.

snap and hulagrrl210 like this.
  9. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just thought of one thing I wanted to add. The slots and all close down totally at night, I'm guessing around midnight. My flight from SFO landed slightly after midnight, the slots areas were dark, and the last of the employees was just leaving. So at least the sound/light portions of the equation are amenable to overnighting. The main issue is I saw nowhere good to lay down with any comfort. There were some benches downstairs near the subway trains (between the escalators and the trains off to the side in a partitioned area), but no padding at all.

10. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even more of a reason to get to the Strip for the evening and enjoy! :D