Sleazy tactics by Million Mile Secrets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by giocatoredoro, Nov 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. giocatoredoro

giocatoredoro Silver Member

Status Points:
    In case you missed his post today (http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/11/29/how-to-skip-airport-security-lines/#comments), he posted about how to skip airport security lines, by intentionally attempting to deceive the TSA security guards. Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of annoyances with TSA, but this is more of an issue of lying, cheating, and intentional deception. Some of the comments (at 67 now!) have said that it's not that big of a deal, and they are probably right.

But isn't that the same is teaching someone how to sneak in a movie-theater, or buying a Child's ticket as an adult for an amusement park? Ultimately, this is about ethics. Simple.

Ironically, Darius is an alum from one of the most prestigeous B-schools in the country, Kellogg, but it seems like he never took a "Business Ethics" course, or anything of the like.

I apologize if this seems like an irrelevant rant, but let me emphasize - This "advice" at best is distasteful, at worse it's stealing/cheating. I will never sign-up for another cc from his blog.

Am I off base? Thoughts?

2. MegaDont

MegaDont Silver Member

Status Points:
    I heard getting a weapon on a plane is the best way to get to where you really want to go on a commercial flight. Now sign up for this CC through me. Thanks.

I should start a blog

3. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Caveat Emptor, especially when reading blogs. Unlike journalists there's no "code of conduct" for us to repeatedly break and thus, lose the general public's trust.

My problem with tactics such as these is that, if widely adopted, they'd ruin the "shorter" lines for those who should legitimately be in them. Is it a BIG deal? Nah, probably not.

But that doesn't mean you're wrong to have offended sensibilities about it either.

You just wrote the best blog post ever.

Congrats.

4. MegaDont

MegaDont Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. Thank you.

I agree that bloggers shouldn't be held to the same standards as journalists in general, but the OP's reaction is also valid... if only because they can choose to support whatever blog they want. Lots of other good (moral) blogs out there that can fill the void.

Now excuse me while I go deceive some TSA security.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you, but this is hardly the first or only blogger teaching people to lie for their benefit.

Look for blog posts from various renowned people on how to acquire benefits by, say, changing your address to another country that you don't actually live in (or even visit regularly) for the purpose of making yourself look eligible for targeted promotions. Or use made-up/google'ed credit card numbers indicative of a certain credit card type to qualify for targeted status upgrades.

6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quality of the blogs are going down. Sometime in early 2013, this headline will show:

HEY did u guyz know that if u steal sumthing, u get it for FREE?

7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously though, this is one of those things you leave for things like FTU. Now that it's on a blog, it's documented. Once on the internet, always on the internet.

8. giocatoredoro

Status Points:
    Haha, lots of good comments. I'm glad that others share my sentiments. The worst part about his blog post, isn't that he proudly deceives, but that he also tries to influence others to do so as well.

See, when I was 15, I used to sneak in to movie theaters to watch rated R action movies. Even at that age, I knew I was doing something wrong, and I never tried to get others to follow me. I only did it because there was no other way I would be able to watch it. Obviously, I wouldn't do anything similar today, but I can sympathize with certain less-than ethical actions, but not Darius' blog post.

To be proud of lying and deceiving a Federal Security Agency, is just shameful.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Minor quibble, perhaps, but the folks controlling access to the "elite" lines are not TSA employees. They work for the airport or the airlines, not the government.

10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The people guarding the lines are NOT federal agents, they are airlines/airport employees that LEAD to the TSA area.

... nevertheless, as is apparently my modus operandi nowadays (see: Hitler video about Vanilla Reloads), I had a little bit of fun with D on twitter :)

@PointsToPointB: In a hurry, is there a way I can cut to the front of the grocery store express line? ANA MileageClub card? Any suggestions, @MilMileSecrets?
    @PointsToPointB: .@milmilesecrets I have 15 items, but if I hide 5, maybe I can still use the express lane?
    @MilMileSecrets: @pointstopointb: - 15 items or less and you can use the express line!
    @PointsToPointB: .@MilMileSecrets I'm at Ralph's, the rules here are 10, maybe I can flash my Von's Club card since their rule is 15.

tommy777, Flyer1976, NYBanker and 7 others like this.
  11. giocatoredoro

Status Points:
    Thanks, WA. I'm curious though, as a fellow blogger, how do you feel about this issue. You (to my knowledge) haven't ever posted anything similar to this, so I'm interested to hear your views.

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously, if there was ever a blog post where you dont want a picture of your wife smiling at the top, this is the one.

You know what they say - you can only lead a man to a Business Ethics course, but you cannot....

I have to admit I was a bit surprised by the extent to which his post has been hit with negative comments - (just to clarify, I find his method unethical as well), but interestingly in one of his earlier posts (TR on HR Huntington Beach), when he posted about using a corporate rate that he was not eligible for, there wasnt nearly as much of an uproar. Seems like people can really see how this can impact them personally and are hence all up in arms about it.

13. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    All ethics is personal right?

You see that a lot everwhere. Foodies scrambling to "ban" fast food but who get all up in arms when Chicago bans Fois Gras or when a city considers a charcuterie ban. Their palates catch on fire and they demand the government get out of their mouths. Conservatives at Tea Party rallies with signs saying "get your government hands off my medicare" (and, to remain bipartisan) anti-corporation occupy ralliers carrying iPhones and drinking Starbucks.

I remember the charity (corporate) rate that you were referring to. There was a pretty good row on this message board over the ethics behind that, just as there was the one blogger's advice to alter one's status for status matches.

It's a pretty good quibble really. Because, by doing this, you wouldn't be hurting the TSA jobs program for the unemployable any at all. The same number of travelers would come through the security point. Those shorted would be your fellow passengers with the proper qualifications who had to wait longer in line because of this.

The good news is, on even the biggest of travel blogs, the sample size that would read and apply this is insignificant in terms of the general flying population.

jbcarioca, tondoleo and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. giocatoredoro

Status Points:
    Part of me thinks he wrote the post to generate publicity, and traffic to his site. I mean, I even started a thread on it. Although he is clearly a smart man, I will not ever sign up for any of his referral credit cards.

Good discussions, all.

15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    not ever = never i think...

16. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting point by the OP. I think everything boils down to personal ethics. Will I do what MMS does? No. Can I blame someone for doing it? No. At the end of the day, I am proud of the way that I act and hopefully it reflects the positive characteristic that were instilled in me by my parents and generations before. MMS has plenty of other recommendations/tips that I do find ethical and helpful. So I will choose to continue to read his blog. I just choose to follow tips that don't conflict with my personal ethics. There are plenty of other bloggers out there that also suggest doing something that conflicts with my personal ethics. I just gloss over them.

Does it effect me, the hard way earner of status? You bet it does. My "expedited" security line is longer than it should be. Oh well. It's no different than morons that board planes before their boarding group. Why don't the GAs stop these people from boarding? In the end everyone will get into the airport and plane. There will be a select few who try and cheat the system, but the majority won't. I'm OK with the way I handle myself.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I probably have but I don't know for sure. I'm certainly no angel.

That said, my general view on this sort of thing is that "cheating" the system is not inherently evil or wrong. Doing it in a manner which negatively affects others rather than just bettering things for oneself is usually where I think there is a more significant delineation.

I buy mistake fares. I exploit loopholes. I even share them with others from time to time both in person and online. But I generally try not to brag about disrespecting others or blatantly misrepresenting who I am or what I'm doing.

PreCheck lanes are similarly ripe for abuse. Even if I know I'm not going to get the magical 3 beeps using those lines generally feed the "fail" to the front of the TDC lane. That's a nice touch where it works.

18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, but how could such a thing ever work? Wouldn't a made-up or Googled CC number show as invalid?

Were there really people who both supported a "ban" on fast food (whatever that means, usually it's a ban on fast food in schools or a ban on trans-fats or a ban on super-large portions of sweetened drinks) who also opposed a ban on foie gras? That seems so blatantly hypocritical it's hard for me to imagine that they could put up with the cognitive dissonance. The anti-corporation occupy rally-goers who patronized major corporations might or might not be hypocritical depending on if they were calling on corporations to act more ethically or asking for stronger laws and enforcement of corporations on the one hand, or if they were advocating a boycott of the corporations.

Very good point!

In the end everyone gets to the plane, but not everyone's carry-on bags will. As for the majority of people, they will follow the rules only as long as it looks like most everyone else does too. Once a certain percent of people are seen to break the rules and get away with it, a tipping point is reached and almost no one does.

I speed, but I get pissed off when I see people break rules I won't break, such as when the lane to go straight and onto a freeway is backup up, so they turn right, make a u-turn, then sneak into the shorter lane. Or when there are two left-turn lanes, and the left-most one is backed up because everyone wants to make an immediate second left, so some people get in the right-most left turn lane and cut in front of everyone at the last minute before the second left.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    At an event not too long ago a credit card blogger advocated deceiving issuing banks by using a false address inn another state so that negative credit bureau information could be concealed. That this would be fraud is clear, a clearly actionable offense. Whether it would be prosecuted is another matter, that is much less likely. An effort to apply for multiple credit accounts in a tiny time to avoid accurate recording of credit-seeking behavior is in the same category.

Illegally gaining access or special treatment through deception is a similar thing, even less likely to be prosecuted.

My MBA did not come from Kellogg, but many other schools have produced legions of MBA's whose ethics have been deficient. For many such people the end always justify the means. I disagree. We all should diligently avoid obtaining advantages through deception. Most advantages with which we're concerned on MP can be achieved easily enough without deception.

Finally, I enjoy MilePoint mostly because of a generally positive and helpful attitude among most active members. Sadly, several bloggers actively advocate evading truthfulness and honesty in order to gain illicit advantages. That is shameful!

kiwi, MLW20, iolaire and 10 others like this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the case I am thinking of the loyalty program website (Hilton) only validated that the credit card number was a certain type of VISA card, and a prefix of the complete number indicates that. If I recall correctly, the website was oly asking for that prefix (first X digits) and didn't t attempt to validate in any way that you actually owned the credit card you claimed to have.

jbcarioca and Wandering Aramean like this.
  21. GeneralLee1865

GeneralLee1865 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I heard the word Kellogg and the name Andrew Fastow came to mind. Great Kellogg minds think a like.

jbcarioca, hulagrrl210 and Jett Rink like this.
  22. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jett Rink wouldn't even think of pulling this stunt, and neither should YOU.

jbcarioca, viguera and LETTERBOY like this.
  23. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I hear the word Kellogg, I think cereal. :D

24. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having a blog myself, I think it is a good idea to have high standards similar to journalists. I always "acid test" and confirm sources of anything I write. publishing incorrect or unethical information or news is wrong regardless of the author.

25. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're spot on with your attitude!