Skytrax rates the world's airports

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by guinnessxyz, Apr 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy and mattsteg like this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Skytrax ratings are a joke. Flawed methodology.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Heathrow is one of the 10 best! :p

5. I would agree if they were only measuring T5

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well you can't just talk T5. And even then, the number of fllights departing bus gates is silly. But BA doesn't even use T5 exclusively. Flying DUS-LHR-SFO on BA I arrived at a T1 bus gate and had to connect to one of the remote T5 gates, meaning that it took two buses and a train to get between flights.... plus immigration and security...

7. Agreed but to be rationale about LHR there is a lot of construction going on and BA still has to use the BMI gates for now. LHR will always be somewhat chaotic but T5 has brought about definite improvement to the airport overall. PLUS transportation to/from the airport is pretty good. MUC Probably ranks as the most efficient airport to transit through.

mattsteg likes this.
  8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    T5 is an improvement no doubt but LHR isnn't just T5. MUC is great. So is VIE. But - the potential need to change terminals via train notwithstanding (and which is quite frankly easy) it's hard to be SIN for transfers since there's no passport control when transferring and security is done at each gate. BKK, KUL, ICN are easy. HKG isn't bad at all but can involve lots of walking and I wish the train was still bi-directional.

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can be rational and say that LHR is doing well...for the situation that they are in, but in an overall sense that's not all that relevant to how nice of an airport it is to use.

It does look like T5 weighted heavily in their ranking, based on the category winners.

And of course, going through the categories, it's hard to think of many NA airports that excel in any of them...mostly they tend to get the job done and leave it at that. Transit, immigration, security, amenities, dining, etc. are all bested overseas.

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    For large airports in the US I'd rate DFW, SFO pretty highly... in contrast to LAX, JFK, EWR, MIA can be a disaster for customs and for security. But agreed, lots of mediocre airports that are 'fine'.

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO is decent, and the proximity of all carriers service is nice. DFW is OK, but I'm not in love with it as a flyer not using it as a hub. Any of the airports originally designed to minimize curb-to-plane time have faced adjustments, and DFW has done well in that for sure. I'd put DTW pretty high up, but I'm always at the McNamara terminal so can't say much about the North terminal, for example. I like my home MSP as well, but that could well be familiarity bias.

As you said, lots of airports that are "fine", and a ton of domestic traffic relative to international traffic, which is different from a lot of the top ranked options. What I want in a domestic airport is the ability to reliably connect me with ~50 minute connections and the chance to grab a quick coffee or drink/snack in the lounge between flights. Also a pleasant/clean/airy terminal is a big plus. For O/D I want o be in and out quickly. No interest in shopping, immigration performance, etc. A lot of US airports do well in this regard, but lack other distinguishing characteristics.

12. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cincinnati as the highest-ranked US airport? Seriously?

I'm a very big fan of MSP, with DTW as a back-up.

Mike