SkyTeam Multiple Stopover Award Tickets

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by agape2travel, Nov 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. agape2travel
    Original Member

agape2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need your help! I have spent the past several days reading about multiple stopover award tickets but I'm still confused. If I want to fly out of Atlanta and stop over in Edinburgh, Copenhagen and Munich and then return home, how do I do this without being charged for 3 separate flights (business class over the Atlantic). Any suggestions? I could fly OneWorld as another option. Thanks and happy travels!

2. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta allows a stopover and an open jaw on award tickets. Off the top of my head, you'd probably want to try ATL-CDG-EDI-AMS-CPH for your outbound with a stopover in EDI. You'll have to check that it fits the maximum permitted mileage, but there's usually an allowance for connecting in CDG that will save you. If willing to do an out-of-airport transfer and spend just shy of 24 hours in London, AF flies LCY-EDI, bit I'm not sure there's much award space on those flights. Then buy a cheap flight to MUC and book your return from there. I can try to come up with other routing ideas when near my desktop and ExpertFlyer account.

3. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a follow-up, ATL-CDG-EDI-AMS-CPH does indeed come up as a valid routing for DL. The ticketed-point deduction for routing via Paris comes into play and saves you. ATL-LON(into LHR, out of LCY)-EDI-AMS-CPH is also valid. If you have *A miles, you could probably use SK or LH to do CPH-MUC if you really want to avoid paying for any flights. However, it looks like you can get a one-way on SK for $123 a/i almost any day in March, for example, so that's probably the way I'd go. It also appears that there is pretty good award space on LCY-EDI. If you're looking for a biz ticket and can find flat bed space into LHR, it might be worth doing the out-of-airport connection and avoiding CDG altogether. (Just have to be careful to spend less than 24 hours in London to avoid burning your stopover.)

4. agape2travel
    Original Member

agape2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'm checking into it! Happy travels!