Skype Devious Tricks

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by MX, May 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used Skype free service for years. A few days ago I decided it'd be nice to have an option for making a Skype call to a regular phone, and bought $10 credit through PayPal Digital Gifts. I haven't gotten to using the credit for the intended purpose, but already encountered one of their nasty tricks.

My first call after the load was to an overseas friend that I've called on Skype many times before. I know he uses call forwarding, which is local for him and runs at ~2 cents/min. But now that I had Skype credit balance, the usually free Skype-to-Skype call for me magically became a paid call -- and at a high international mobile rate. There was absolutely no indication that the call was no longer free. I just happened to notice that in a few minutes $3 of my credit evaporated.

One disadvantage of Skype (compared to your legacy scheming phone company) is that there's no obvious phone, email, or even a street address to direct a complaint. I finally found a "Chat" button, and after some IM explanation the chat rep sent me a script complaint form to fill out. Nothing came out of it, and I won't hold my breath. Just wanted to share with my fellow inexperienced Skype users, that if you feed them any money, you may lose your free calls.

anileze, Thomask and uggboy like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do have this service as well. In fact, I almost exclusively use it for skype-to-mobile or skype-to-landline. While most such calls run at ~2 cents/min, not all do, depending on location.

Skype.jpg
    Above you can see that my calls to China-mobile cost 2 cents/min whereas the one to Philippines-mobile cost 12 cents/min. Thus, you might want to check the rate for the location where you incurred the large charge on skype-to-skype with "call forwarding"... The rate might be higher.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not like the mandatory Skype updates with their weak attempt to add a bit of bloatware to your computer :eek:

MX likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the subject of Skype updates, does anyone know how to disable their persistent nag messages? Their latest update promises to disable the update approval option altogether. That means from that point they'll install their bloatware with no user option to decline. I'm definitely not ok with such bullying approach, and plan to resist for awhile.