SkyMiles to Sydney: Traveling with someone

Discussion in 'Wandering Aramean Travel Tools' started by Wandering Aramean, Mar 17, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last week I put together some numbers showing the challenges facing SkyMiles members who are looking to redeem points for travel to Sydney from the United States. Delta has but the one flight each day and availability is quite tight, particularly in business class. That research was based on only one passenger traveling. Many readers asked what it looks like if you’re not flying solo. Here’s what that looks like.

[​IMG]
    LA to Sydney SkyMiles Award Pricing – Delta Air Lines for 2 passengers

Yeah, still not great on the Delta non-stop flight. For a single passenger taking a connection made things better and that is still the case for two, but not nearly as many options remain. Pretty much only Korean is viable and with fewer dates than a single passenger would see. I’m not sure if Virgin Australia is missing because of a technical issue where nothing from Virgin Australia is showing up right now or something else, but I’m also not seeing single passenger options for VA-operated. There are very limited dates from China Southern and China Airlines with two seats, far fewer than for one (and so few I didn’t even bother graphing it).

[​IMG]
    LA to Sydney SkyMiles Award Pricing – Korean Air for 2 passengers

There are a couple quirks I noticed in the research this time around. If you’re willing to skip Easter this year two seats on the LA-Sydney non-stop flight are available on DL metal for only 80k each. That’s the low level award and something of a needle in a haystack type of find in this market. Also, it is less expensive than the coach seats on the same flight!

[​IMG]
    LA to Sydney: Business Class Cheaper than Coach

And, for reasons which I do not comprehend and which the Delta twitter team has not yet been able to explain, travel on China Southern seems to be drawing a mysterious extra $167.70 in fees. Oops. (Appears to be YQ + YR; I thought that didn’t get charged for US origination tix??)

[​IMG]
    Delta charging extra for China Southern-operated awards

Travel to Sydney on SkyMiles is not easy, and even less so if you aren’t flying solo.

The post SkyMiles to Sydney: Traveling with someone appeared first on Wandering Aramean.

Continue reading...

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume that the big black hole in the chart for KE award redemptions is due to the blackout dates that DL imposes for award tickets on KE operated flights.