Skymiles Questions

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TravelBear, Jun 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have just started the process of really building miles and have a few questions.

1. Is it better for my partner and I to maintain separate pools of points or is there a benefit to say him moving his miles to my account? (I know moving them only counts as RDMs(I think thats the right way of shortening redeemable miles) not MQMs, if he flies it is usually with me, in fact almost exclusively)

2. From what I gather the ONLY ways of gaining MQMs are butt in seat, cc promos and the occasional purchase promo specifically for MQMs. Is this correct?

3. As I have only started this at mid year my only hope is that I reach Silver by years end, but I did just get the AE Platinum which from my understanding is about equal to Silver. Would I be correct in thinking that I should be able to get another AE card before years end which would definitely put me into Silver then any excess MQMs would count toward next year?

4. Purchasing tickets with the AE card offers double miles. Does anyone know if the bonus miles are RDMs or MQMs?

Thanks! BTW you guys are so helpful and not snarky!!

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. I'm not sure what the best strategy is in this case. Somebody else may be able to answer this question better. My wife doesn't fly much so I usually SPEND all of my miles flying her so that way I can always earn miles while I fly and try to get to a higher status.
    2. I'm not aware of any other way to get MQMs. I'm not even sure of any purchase promo specifically for MQMs.
    3. The AE DELTA platinum gives you pretty much all of the same benefits as silver medallion. Notable differences would be a 25% MQM bonus on flights, upgrades (if not already taken by all of the GM, DM, PM... don't expect many), and preferred seats.
    4. The double miles are RDMs.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    marcwint55 likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. When you fly, miles are credited to your account, not your partner's account, and vice verse. To transfer redeemable miles can cost more in fees than the miles are worth. Your miles can ba spent on award tickets or upgrades for partner and vice versa.

2. Sometimes one sees special MQMs for flying a new route or DMQM (double) promos, but not much of that recently. Also, remember that FC, BE, and Y B M coach fares earn 50% class of service bonus, so you earn 150% MQMs on M+ fares.

3. Are we talking about regular Plat charge card or the DL branded affinity credit card? They're very different.

4, Redeemable only.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's the Delta one.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The double miles are not MQM's. Save your money on transferring miles, it is a complete rip off. If you have any way to get to gold, you will find it much more useful than silver. It is nearly impossible to get upgraded with silver. Gold you sometimes have a good shot at the upgrade. The AE platinum will get you certain benefits (waived luggage fees etc) but will not get you upgraded unless you have the status. Good luck in your endeavors.

7. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi TravelBear!

Here's my take on your questions. The takeaway is that I think one thing you should consider is adding another Platinum card to your account for your partner if you haven't done so already. Doing so might allow you to reach $25,000 and $50,000 spending thresholds sooner which could earn you up to 20,000 additional MQMs.

As for your specific questions.

1. Ditto what MSPEconomist said.

2. Upon reaching Silver status, you get a 50% MQM and redeemable mile bonus flying First/Business/Premium Economy (Y, B, M class) which gives you a nice MQM boost. Given you've signed up for the Platinum card, I'm assuming you've already earned 5,000 MQMs on your first purchase (and 10,000 redeemable miles). You also get an additional 10,000 MQMs and redeemable miles upon spending $25,000 and $50,000 in a calendar year. Amounts spent on additional cards under your Platinum account count towards these spending thresholds, so it might be worth giving your partner a Platinum card if you haven't done so already (as mentioned above).

It is worth noting that you will not get an additional 5,000 MQMs by getting another Platinum card on a new account at the end of the year as the mileage boost is not available to those who held a Platinum card within the past 12 months. Furthermore, if you were to get another card (e.g., a Reserve card which gives you 10,000 MQMs and redeemable miles on your first purchase), you can't have held another Delta card within the past 90 days. As a result, applying for a new Delta card will not give you the results you want.

3. The similarities between Silver status and having the Delta Platinum card are as follows:

a. You get waived baggage fees for yourself and up to 9 passengers. (It's worth noting that under the card, the waived baggage is only for the 1st bag, and only on Delta and Delta connection flights).

b. You get priority boarding with both the card and Silver status (though it looks as if you only get priority check-in with Silver status, not the card).

The differences between Silver status and having the Delta Platinum card are as follows:

a. With Silver status, you get unlimited complimentary upgrades for various tickets (including companions); whereas you don't have that benefit with the credit card.

b. You also get discounted economy comfort seats (on domestic and transcontinental flights) with Silver status; not so with the card.

c. Furthermore, with Silver, you get the 50% MQM and redeemable mileage boost described above for First, Business and certain Premium Economy flights whereas the card does not offer this benefit.

4. As marcwint55 said, the double miles are for redeemable miles only, not MQMs. Any MQMs over an elite status level do carry over to the next year (a really attractive feature for Delta :)

Curious - How many miles (redeemable and MQMs) do you have in your bank to date? And where do you plan to travel this year? You might find that acquiring Silver status, and then purchasing a couple of First, Business or Premium Economy (Y,B, M class) tickets can get you to a status higher than Silver. Depends on what you have already, and where you plan to travel.

Hope this is helpful!

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AmEx DL Gold card seems to get the same benefits as the Plat DL credit card and for an lower annual fee. The mian difference is that spend on the DL Plat credit card can lead to some MQMs.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In #2, be careful to distinguish between personal and business cards. You can have both if you have a legitimate business and get the bonus miles and MQM offers from both, including yearly MQMs based on spend on each type of card separately.

Also, I suspect that the "you cannot have had a DL AmEx during the last 90 days" is about signup miles offers and does not mean that you literally must first cancel a card, wait 90 days, and they apply to upgrade your card. That would be a very strange and irrational business practice. In addition, cancelling a card tends to lower one's credit score.

10. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also the gold has a $99 companion ticket. The Platinum has a free companion ticket

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if you really use the companion ticket, the cost difference for it is about the difference in the annual fee for the two cards.

12. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:

Currently sitting at 28,883 RDMs and 10,382 MQMs. The MQMs do not reflect the 5k MQMs I will be receiving from the AMEX platinum. I have a DL flight booked AVL-ATL-JFK with return of JFK-AVL and will soon be booking a JFK -KEF-JFK. Both of those trips will occur in August. If I did my math correctly the first should net me 1857 MQMs and the second 5186. The first trip is L and U class. The KEF trip will only be at 100% since bumping to B or M almost doubles the price of the ticket.

Total= 22425

As it stands I think the only way I will reach Silver is, if I understand this correctly, is to apply for another AE card AFTER 90 days and/or try to do a run.

Well, if I don't hit Silver at least I start the year off with a lot more RDMs than I had.

If any of my thinking seems off, please tell me!

13. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    That all sounds right. At just under 3,000 miles to Silver, I hope you make it this year!

Also, have fun in Reykjavik! Exciting stuff :)

patter likes this.