SkyMiles Marketplace for Hotels

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by samonyc, Apr 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm wondering about recent experiences people have had using SkyMiles for hotels: redemption rates, elite benefits, etc. The consensus on this FT thread is that your redemption rate will vary, you probably won't earn points if you stay at a brand with a loyalty program you belong to, but you might get stay credits and some elite perks if you let the hotel know your status. Sound right?

I'm shopping for a London hotel but not having as much luck as I did last year with hotels in other cities, as far as redemption rates go.

2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    These rates do not offically qualify for benefits/stay credits but YMMV!

Wurm likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. You definitely should not get points or stay credits (unless there's a mistake made in coding something, which might be caught later) but elite benefits ultimately would be at the discretion of the property (not an obligation).

Wurm and DeltaExpert like this.
  4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think some chains maybe Marriott? give elite benefits for these types but most do not. I would check with the hotel brand to see their policy while booking through 3rd party travel sites.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG rules say you wouldn't be entitled to elite benefits, but the hotel could be nice. In particular, if they're full and must upgrade some people, IME they're more likely to upgrade an elite than a random person, although they could give the upgrade to someone paying close to rack rate.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    samonyc,

Should you receive benefits, post back at let us know if it works out.

7. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    The trip is in November, but I'll try not to forget.

8. jondav
    Original Member

jondav Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked the IC Carlton Cannes through DL market place and, as as Ambassador, received all benefits including an upgrade. While I did not earn points, I did receive a stay credit for my five nights. Got a great deal as I think they forgot to convert the room rate from Euro to dollars during the booking process.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! This thread made me check on how many SM I would need for a night at the CDG Hilton. 74K!

Even at a penny a mile that's crazy ... especially when Hilton points needed are 25K-35K (I can't remember the exact number).

10. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting points for stay varies. I always assume not getting them (but I am not really into elite status with hotels... I can't believe I just said it).
    On the other hand, I find out that in the EU, I almost always (only one exception) get the points/credits for staying through market place, and in north-america, I never did.

For the record, I was able once to book the Jolly (Brussels) through marketplace. Got a 250+ euro a night room for around 5,000 miles(!) sometimes, it is a 'draw of luck'. I wish I had that luck with op-ups

11. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also just like all other redemptions here, AMEX DL card members get better rates than medallions who get better rates than general members.

12. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    In February I booked the Sofitel London Heathrow via Delta Marketplace. I am a base level Accor A-Club member; however, I did receive basic point and stay credit for my stay.

When I booked online, I placed my A-Club number in the Comments section of the reservation web page. When I arrived and checked in, my number was already in the record.

Specific note for the Sofitel LHR: the rates offered all included VAT and full breakfast (the breakfast, served in the Vivre restauraunt, was valued at GBP 20)/ be sure to check the detailed terms to see what is included in your quoted price.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  13. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed twice at the Dusit Thani Hotel in Manila using my SM.

I am a Dusit Gold Card holder, and told them my # in the comments section, and received benefits of the room upgrade, amenity gift and the rate included free breakfast.

The SM were valued at 1 cent on the payment...

I thought it was a reasonable value given how many SMs I need to fly where I want to go. :rolleyes:

14. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use it all the time, however, my only complaint is that in many cases I have not been able to select what kind of room that I wanted. They always default you to a 2-bed room.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  15. Smaug
    Original Member

Smaug Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bumping this thread back up... Has there been any more recent experiences with earning stay credit from reservations from the Marketplace. Hilton, specifically. I'm looking at using 30K miles for a night at Hilton CDG in October. I know I can cash in for the AmEx gift cards, but doing this would be less troublesome.

DeltaExpert likes this.