Skymiles award booking

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by lichenlt, Apr 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks,

I'm trying to book two Biz award tickets from SEA to ATH with stopover in CDG.

Does it matter if I fly Delta metal or only partners in terms of the miles needed? When I book on delta.com, can I book two tickets at once or do I have to book them separately?

Thanks.

2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

You can book 2 award tickets at once and they will be in the same PNR. It should not matter what metal you are flying DL/KLM/AF etc. but sometimes the availability of the partners can be limited on the website. Good luck

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can find partner seats for SkyMiles, they will necessarily be at low level. Freqently AF availability is better than on DL metal, although you should look at aircraft amenities carefully as AF tends to be configured as 2-3-2 in business class, which might not be acceptable to you if you can't get good seats.

You normally can book two tickets using miles together. This puts you and your traveling companion on the same PNR, which tends to keep you together in IROPs and gets elite benefits for the partner, such as a free bag (which isn't an issue in business class). It also gets the partner access to DL's enhanced award inventory availability, but this also doesn't apply to BE.

Check out the thread here on advice for booking DL award tickets.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks DeltaExpert, the reason I asked about which metal to fly on is that I got very high miles (300k :eek:) when the flights were mixed with Delta metal as oppose to AF only.

5. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if you have status with DL or not, but if you call them, usually the agents can be more helpful than the website. When they were mixed, it could have been that not all the flights were low availability so a higher redemption rate making it seem that in general when you book on 2 metals it would be higher but that isn't the case.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I pointed out above, you can book partner flights using DL miles only if they are available in low.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  7. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, MSPeconomist, I'll look into the partner award levels.

8. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is my understanding right that as long as I book the exact same flights I found on airfrance.us, the miles would be at low level (i.e. 100k for roundtrip to Europe)?

I tried multiple times on delta.com, but sometimes I can see the flights on search results page, sometimes they didn't show up. Is that because the system holds those seats for certain amount of time after my initial search? Will the agent be able to book me on the flights I saw on airfrance.us if I call delta?

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can find low award space on the AF site, you *should* be able to book it with DL with DL miles. If you can't do it on line, call DL. If you don't have status, you might be able to have the phone agent either waive the fee because you couldn't do it on line or just make the reservation for you, which you would then go into delta.dumb and complete the "purchase."

10. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Is 50k-mile classic award on AF low level? It shows green on their chart, I remember seeing somewhere that green means low tier.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but don't pay so much attention to the color as it's sometimes wrong. IIRC classic = AF low, but 50K miles RT for a coach award US-Europe is certainly low.

12. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    no I was searching one-way Biz award and it showed on AF website as classic award 50k miles.

Another thing, when I did my searches yesterday, a couple of dates disappeared on AF website after a few trials. It showed up again this morning and disappeared after a few trials. Now I'm not sure whether the seats were gone or just a system glitch.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Low business class (BE on DL, WBC on KLM, and affaires on AF) should be 100K RT or 50K each way, but you can't really get a one-way award ticket as you will be charged the RT price.

14. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I understand that part, I just wanted to make sure the seats I see on AF website were actually low level seats when I book with DL. Now I know they are indeed low level seats. Thanks.

15. Suliman
    Original Member

Suliman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Expertflyer is the best at finding AF availability that's bookable on Delta.com. Then the trick is finding low-level DL domestic segments (or international segments). I use the KVM tool for that. As long as you find low-level DL then there's no additional costs besides the 100K mentioned above.

Unfortunately they've recently increased the award level to 140K, but my wife and I recently took a trip to Africa in Business with a stopover in CDG. (When we booked it it was only 120K -- paying only 20K more to go to Africa in addition to Europe was a steal. It's still a pretty good deal, in my opinion at 140K.)

16. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finally did it. Had to go through JFK and ATL, but finally put it on hold. Two Biz tickets roundtrip from SEA to ATH with a stopover in CDG, total miles 200k, tax $373 (for two tickets). Not very surprising, but it's a result of almost a whole day study and practice. :p

Thank all above MPers for your help. ;)

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations. Now just do a final check to see if you can improve on the routing through JFK and ATL and then ticket them before the deadline for your hold.

If you're elite and not subject to change (award redeposit) fees, you can continue to periodically check back to see whether you can improve on the routing (or even check and decide if the improvement is worth the fees if you suspect that you might be willing to pay to avoid a connection). This is most likely to work shortly before your departure date, but it doesn't hurt to check in the meantime too.

18. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm only a Silver, so I guess I won't be able to change the routing without paying $150. But if I make it Gold before my trip in October, will they let me change the routing free of charge?

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fees should be based on your current status at the time you make any changes. However, I'm not sure whether Golds get these fees waived. I thought it was only DM and PM for two changes only, which was then changed to an unlimited fee waiver for PMs too.

20. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see, then I guess I won't be in a hurry to make upper level status then, LOL.

21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gold still gets you lots of other worthwhile goodies over Silver: SkyPriority (including FC check in desks, FC/elite security lines, priority bag tags), SkyTeam Elite Plus (including lounge access on international coach tickets and partner business class check in and security lines when flying coach), better phone lines with less waiting on hold, and much better chances of domestic upgrades, although this of course depends on the routes and times you fly.

22. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    GM does get you lots of perks but waived redeposit fees is not one of them.