SkyMiles Award Availability: Not “The Bloodbath I Was Expecting”?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jan 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Apparently not all is doom and gloom with the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles frequent guest loyalty program — at least, not when it comes to award availability. Members of the SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program will “experience significant improvements to award-redemption functionality” in 2015, according to Paul Skrbec — who is manager of corporate communications at Delta Air Lines — back on Thursday, March 6, 2014 when the SkyMiles awards redemption chart effective as of January 1, 2015 for travel from the continental United States, Alaska and Canada was released. That claim of improved SkyMiles award availability has apparently been confirmed, depending on your definition of the word improved: according to the chart below as tirelessly prepared by FlyerTalk member javabytes — who was admittedly quite curious yet apprehensive about how the new five-tier award chart would affect the redemptions of SkyMiles effective as of Thursday, January 1, 2015 — in this discussion posted on FlyerTalk, the results were “not nearly as bad as I expected. In the vast majority of cases I sampled, the new award tiers have been used for good instead of evil so far: a tremendous number of awards previously at the old Medium (Tier 3) level dropped into Tier 2, and from the old High (Tier 5) level into Tier 4”; and “in some cases, availability at Low/Tier 1 also greatly expanded, especially for domestic premium class travel.” Here is the chart as prepared by javabytes... The post SkyMiles Award Availability: Not “The Bloodbath I Was Expecting”? appeared first on The Gate.

Continue reading...