Skyguide Executive Privilege Club: Lounge Access for $30/yr.

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by TheInternationalLine, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TheInternationalLine
    Original Member

TheInternationalLine Silver Member

Status Points:
    [Updated to remove non-working signup link - 13-Jan-2015]

Introduction

The Skyguide Executive Privilege Club is a good way for those who fly less frequently to get airport lounge access without paying for lounge memberships or expensive credit cards. For as little as $19.99 per year (price varies depending on current promos), Skyguide Club will reimburse you for up to 12 airport club/lounge day passes. At $50 each, that's $600 of reimbursements!

The following information is from my personal experiences signing up, getting reimbursed, calling to resolve issues, and canceling memberships. As they say, YMMV.

How Does It Work?

First, you sign up for an annual membership using one of the links below. Then, you pay for day passes at the airport lounge of your choice (or online ahead of time) and submit the receipts to SkyGuide Club via certified mail. Reimbursement checks usually arrive in about a month.

Why Is This a Good Deal?
    • It works for any domestic or international lounge that sells day passes, including those operated by United, AA, Alaska Airlines, Aeromexico, Air Canada, Virgin America, Delta, US Airways, and Servisair (non-airline). This includes many lounges that are not covered by credit card programs or lounge programs like Priority Pass.
    • You don't need to be flying on the airline that operates the lounge, so you can pick your favorite lounge at the airport.
    • If you run into trouble, they have telephone customer service with nice agents.
    • They also provide reimbursement of health club passes (12 per year at $25)!
    What's The Catch?
    How Do I Sign Up?

There are reports that you can call 1-800-365-4357 to sign up and request a promo rate ($19.99 for the first year is one of the best, using code CYACCB). Reports vary widely on the success of this approach, especially when renewing an existing account. Thanks, Corridor!

The best online offer I know of right now is $59.95 for the first year. You need a (free) efactor account to get to the registration page:
    http://www.efactor.com/resources/SkyGuideSuccess/title/SkyGuide

What are the Official Terms?

See the SkyGuide site: http://www.skyguideclub.com/?Obj=LoungeAndGym

What's an Airport Lounge/Club?

Many airlines have private clubs, usually located in the "hub" airports they serve. They usually serve basic snacks and complimentary alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, along with access to a private service desk to resolve flight issues. Some offer showers. Be aware that not all clubs/lounges offer day passes, especially those operated by non-US airlines. Some links:

Delta SkyClub:
    http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/airport_information/delta_sky_club/

United Club:
    http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52673,00.html

AA Admiral's Club:
    http://www.aa.com/admiralsclub

What Are Some Tips/Tricks?
    • Remember/bookmark this URL: https://secure.customersvc.com/servlet/Show?WESPAGE=am/home.jsp&MSRSMAG=CY . Once your account is active, you can go to this URL and it will show you your member number and other account information. There may be a slight delay if you use one of the timeinc.com registration links.
    • This URL can also be used to cancel your membership (for a refund) or stop auto-renewal. Use the "cancel" link for both.
    • If you use a customersvc.com signup link, your membership will start immediately. You can even sign up when you're at the entrance to the lounge! There may be a delay if you use a timeinc.com link.
    • Buy your passes online ahead of your trip if you don't want the hassle at the lounge entrance. Be sure to save a printed copy so you can send it in.
    • Because your membership isn't tied to any specific credit card, you can use day pass purchases to meet minimum spend requirements across multiple cards or accumulate points/miles.
    • Please don't abuse the program or commit fraud by purchasing passes for others or reselling passes. You'll just ruin it for everyone else.
    What if Something Goes Wrong?
    • If you don't send in a proper dated receipt that says "day pass" or "one time pass" on it, you probably won't be reimbursed (or hear anything back, for that matter). You can call them and try to fight it, but it's likely you'll be turned down. They'll play by the rules if you play by the rules.
    • If you decide you want to cancel, even mid-term, they'll send you a full refund. In my experience, it was really simple to cancel online, and the refund check arrived quickly.
    • There are reports of people sending receipts through normal (non-certified) mail, and they have been "lost". Others report that using standard USPS mail isn't a problem. Keep copies of your paperwork, and be prepared to call if your request is "lost".
    Who Are You?

I'm just a random guy. I've been a member of Skyguide Club off-and-on for about six years, and most of my family/friends are also members. The information above is from my experiences signing up, getting reimbursed, calling to resolve issues, and canceling memberships. As they say, YMMV. For all I know, all of the information posted above is wrong. :)

Where Can I Find More Reviews?

Million Mile Secrets:
    http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/03/01/executive-privilage-club/

View from the Wing:
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewf...ounge-visits-for-20-at-your-choice-of-lounge/

Travel and Credit:
    http://travelandcredit.com/blog/hot...m-gift-certificates-all-for-only-32-94-total/

That "other" Site:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...skyguide-executive-privilege-club-merged.html

Updates/News
    • As of October, 2012, the long-standing customersvc.com enrollment form may not be working anymore. If anyone has received the $29.99 membership lately, please post.
    • As of January, 2013, pass reimbursement will be limited to one per calendar month. This actually matches the terms and conditions from a couple of years ago, but is quite a bit more restrictive than the "12 per month" terms used in 2012.
    • As of July, 2013, the long-standing timeinc.com registration form is unavailable.
    • As of February, 2014, there's a new signup link available for online registration. Enjoy!
    • As of January, 2015, there's a new signup link available for online registration and the reimbursement address has changed again.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  2. Bikeguy
    Original Member

Bikeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does this work on all Amex cards or only ones with a high annual fee? Very good info if you can use for a low/no fee card. I just got the Plat Amex, so I'm covered for a decent amount of lounges currently.

3. TheInternationalLine
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It should work with any amex AFAIK. The reimbursement comes in the form of a paper check, so the program isn't really tied in with your card. I don't even think you need to pay the skyguide club fee with an amex card.

A definite advantage to this vs. amex platinum is that it will work with any airline lounge. The amex platinum is limited to a few airlines (and will be even more limited once Continental drops out).

Of course, you could combine this program with your platinum card and use the skyguide reimbursement for lounges that aren't covered by your card.

flyingdawg and Bikeguy like this.
  4. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Can you fax the receipts instead of paying $5.50 each for certified mail, return receipt?

That would save some $ and should provide proof that the receipts were sent. Also follow up with a phone call if a check doesn't come.

5. MGU

MGU

Thanks, will definitely look into this.

6. TheInternationalLine
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is no fax number. I'm sure they want to make the claim process as difficult as possible while still making good on their offer. After all, they don't make money writing checks. There are reports on other sites that receipts sent normal postal mail were "lost", but they were reimbursed after talking with customer service. Others report that standard mail worked just fine. YMMV.

MrHalliday likes this.
  7. Bikeguy
    Original Member

Bikeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You shouldn't need return reciept. If you have a tracking number and it shows as delivered, that should be good. I had a package I wanted a refund on and they said if I gave them a tracking number that shows it was delivered, I would be credited. And I was.

TheInternationalLine likes this.
  8. MIA
    Original Member

MIA Active Member

Status Points:
    Any American Express card, including Amex-network cards issue by Bank of America, Citi, Barclay's or other banks, but it cannot be another network (Discover, MasterCard or VISA).

rharrigill and Bikeguy like this.
  9. Rus925

Rus925 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any ideas/experience with buying two SkyClub day passes at $25 each for me and a companion (with the AmEx DL discount) and claiming them as one?

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was pleased to see a link to this thread on FT, which apparently doesn't yet have an equivalent thread.

rharrigill likes this.
  11. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love this program. Combined with the Amex Plat $200 reimbursement, you can get paid for going into the UA RCC

LarryInNYC likes this.
  12. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you buy passes in bulk online (I am pretty sure UA lets you do this) so you don't have to mail in each time they are used?

13. CMHFlyerOH

CMHFlyerOH Active Member

Status Points:
    I
    I'd be interested to know this as well, but I suspect they will expect a receipt that appears to have actually been issed at a lounge, per what the terms and conditions state. Anyone have any experience with this?

Next time I'm at a RCC, I thought I might check to see if it's possible to buy RCC day passes for future yes--something that might also help with this issue.

Morgan likes this.
  14. mizwada
    Original Member

mizwada Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just received a promotion in the mail, sounds like a great deal! In addition to 2 months free membership they're now giving two $100 restaurant gift cards!

15. TheInternationalLine
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just a quick note that the annual renewal fee is now $90 (past the first year). Because I didn't want to pay the new fee, I called to cancel a few days after the fee posted to my card, and the agent politely refunded the entire amount without any hassle.

Excellent customer service!

flyingdawg likes this.
  16. cagalindo

cagalindo Member

Status Points:
    Supposedly the new united club passes don't have names on them since they are transferrable. Have you been to get a refund for those? Could you photoshop your name onto it before printing and mail that in?

17. mabramovich

mabramovich Active Member

Status Points:
    Any idea if a Canadian-issued Amex would work?

18. len222

len222 Active Member

Status Points:
    The enrolment forms only seem to accept US addresses (no Canadian provinces or country=Canada). Would be interesting to know whether Canadians could enrol with a Canadian Amex and a US address.

19. mabramovich

mabramovich Active Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that was my question. I live in the US now but don't have any US-issued Amex yet.

I guess I could just try it, but I'd hate to buy an AC MLL pass and then just not be reimbursed.

20. rgm18

rgm18 Active Member

Status Points:
    one more question. can i use the gym passes anywhere or only when travelling
    ie can i use at a gym close to my home??

21. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to be clear: If I want to try this for the free two months plus the first year at $30, when do I call to cancel? Right after the $30 is charged, or at the end of the year after I've used all the passes?

22. ShrinkTheGlobe

ShrinkTheGlobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    This deal looks good. Do you know if you can submit 2 different day passes on the same date? For example, if someone had a multi-segment itinerary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit:

I found the answer on Delta's web site:

This Delta Sky Club One-Day pass grants access to any Delta Sky Club location worldwide and is valid for a single day of travel. Itineraries that include a date change between origin and destination are treated as the same day of travel.

23. ThtsaPaddlin

ThtsaPaddlin Active Member

Status Points:
    I've got an unusually high amount of international travel occurring within the next few months, so this would be awesome...BUT:

Does this service reimburse you for the international transaction free incurred when buying lounge access (with an AmEx) at foreign airport lounges?

24. LAXjunkie415

LAXjunkie415 Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for posting. I will give this a go and report back on my experiences. thanks again :)

25. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    so if I buy the day passes online, what do I submit for reimbursement? Never bought online before, so not sure what kind of receipt or info on receipt is provided...