Skyclub questions

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rhapsody, Jun 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rhapsody

rhapsody Member

Status Points:
    As a potential newbie to sky club I had a few questions.

First when it comes to food and snacks:
    Are these left open as a serve yourself or do you order them. Also are you only allowed one serving? What soft drinks are available?

Second:
    Are the practical areas where one can legitimately rest? Or in practice are these clubs quite busy.

Third:
    May one take food and drinks (non alcoholic) out of the club?

Thanks for any help!

jetsetboy and jrp2 like this.
  2. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    See above! :)

David

jetsetboy and jrp2 like this.
  3. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since most folks prefer the comfort of the couches and soft chairs, the "computer" areas of the lounges tend to be a little quieter. But as Dave noted, the timing of the crowds varies from one hour to the next. You can probably get more rest in areas where there aren't a lot of electrical outlets as well.

4. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, though I have been known to take a handful of Biscoff cookies and put them in my bag for later. ;)

iolaire and DiverDave like this.
  5. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    The answer to your second question depends on which Skyclub you visit (and when).

6. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would put these two plugs in for the SC: electric outlets and irrops. SC can be very helpful in both cases.

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also if you really need a drink it's a definitely the best value if you drink a lot at airports and travel frequently. Also the options are quite decent at many clubs including Brooklyn Lager at LGA (enjoyed one today)

8. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the hours 10pm to 2am after all the flights leave for night. Different SC locations become either a nightclub or Jazz club or a Mickey Mouse Club for adults. :)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll give a plug to SkyClub shower rooms if you redeye/tatl/tpac often. Agree with others on IRROPS - SC agents have done some great things for me.

Also instead of buying a SC membership from Delta I'd recommend an Amex Platinum charge card (this is different then the Amex Delta Plat credit card).

The Amex Platinum is $450/year - same price as SC membership. Amex Plat includes Sky Club access for you + 2 guests when flying Delta. You also can get access to any Priority Pass lounges (Alaska Boardroom and Intl lounges) as well as US Airways lounges anytime regardless of airline your flying. Plus if/when you're flying AA you can get you + 2 into AA Admirals clubs as well.

Amex Plat also gives you up to $200 in airline fee reimbursements each year for charges like baggage, buy on board food, upgrades, etc. Amex is very liberal on what gets reimbursed in practice. That makes your fee closer to $250 net.

Amex Plat also gets you free Global Entry. Global Entry lets you clear US Customs in 90 seconds when returning from intl trips and gets you into the TSA Pre Check elite line when going through security at major US airports. This is a one time $100 benefit which is the cost of global entry signup.

I formerly bought DL SC memberships till I found this setup. Haven't regretted it in any way.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to the soft drinks mentioned above, there will be water, coffee, decaf, tea, and IIRC instant hot chocolate packets sometimes. All of this will be self serve. (In clubs with bartenders, the Coke products are usually served by the bartender too, which can mean a wait and an expectation/hope for a tip.) In October they sell pink lemon aid for breast cancer awareness month. Most SCs have a dispenser for juices, orange and apple IIRC, although they used to have containers or juice.