Skyclub access -Domestic A fare bucket

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Aug 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Does domestic A get skyclub access (shuttle, ORD-LGA)?
    (doesn't look like it, judging from delta.com but I want to make sure I'm not missing something)

I've temporarily let my skyclub membership lapse, I'm trying to postpone the renewal, but if I don't get access on this itinerary I'll go ahead and renew before departure.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only DL domestic tickets that give SC access are on the nonstops between JFK and the west coast. Other than these routes, even a full F unrestricted FC fare won't work.

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    thought so. time to renew my membership.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    or buy a day pass or monthly pass or get a DL AmEx Reserve Card or get a regular AmEx Plat charge card.

It doesn't affect you, but for trips outside of the lower 48 states, one needs to carefully check which definition of "domestic" DL uses for the purpose at hand. For example, sometimes Canada or Puerto Rico is treated as international and sometimes it isn't; the technicalities here can be very confusing.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two points to add:
    DL includes destinations like DEN, LAX and PHX in their "west coast" definition, in addition to cities actually on the coast.
    DL is also unique that full-fare Y pax get lounge access when traveling to any west coast city from JFK.

DeltaExpert and MSPeconomist like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    but not IAH and MSP, so it's not just any major airport west of the Mississippi River.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't anything west of the Hudson effectively the west coast? ;)

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shame on you. You've been looking at the famous New Yorker poster map too much. Besides, I don't think the west coast wants to annex flyover country unless they believe we can help their financial problems.

NYBanker likes this.
  9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Correction- the west coast wants to annex any part of flyover country from which it can usurp full water rights for free.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but the area around Atlanta is also desperate for water and west coast flights to/from ATL don't have the enhanced SC access benefit.

Seriously, for the record, the SC access from FC/BE or a full Y fare for west coast flights (did someone forget to mention SAN in the list?) is specifically to/from JFK and does not include other airports in the east AFAIK. Also, IIRC it doesn't include connecting flights; the transcon must be nonstop. I does include award and upgraded tickets for anyone lucky enough to be upgraded before the gate.

11. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have found many JFK Sky Club agents clueless about this policy...

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not surprised but I am surprised that you seem to be surprised.

For the record, west coast should include SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX, and SAN, plus DEN, PHX and LAS.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It also includes SNA.

It doesn't include SLC despite it being several hundred miles to the west of DEN. I guess being a hub-to-hub route, DL felt less obligated to favor these pax.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on Gold.

This reminds me of how DL defines international.

15. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am so Sky Club-dumb.

Almost all of my flights are direct since I'm based in Atlanta and I'm never at the airport for very long. I'm Gold, so do I really just get access to the clubs listed on the Sky Club website under ones accessible for Skyteam Elite?

I don't know why this is hard for me to understand, probably because I can't figure out why people would by Sky Club membership if you get to access so many clubs with Gold or above.Under Gold Medallion Benefits, it's tells me I have discounted SC membership... but why would I need it?

Or do I really not get this access?

I'm feeling a little special today since I'm so confused by this.

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering Delta no longer flies nonstop JFK-SNA, would be hard to enter...

17. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Golds and Platinums only get access if connecting to/from an international flight. Diamonds get free Sky Club access anytime. If flying JFK-West Coast and are in a full Y fare or in first class you also get access.

18. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aaaaah.... that makes sense.

So I can't access on my flight to Seattle tonight but when I head back to Paris next month, I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks! The one sentence above clarified countless asterisks and notations

Gargoyle and DeltaExpert like this.
  19. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it makes sense now!

20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Details, details....

They still list it on the SC access page.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  21. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are slow to update it then

NYBanker likes this.
  22. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ive been intrigued by DL's offer of Y lounge access for some time. I think it is the only example of a US carrier offering lounge access for an economy seat to a non-elite.

I suspect, however, that this benefit is rarely actually used. DL offers refundable m fares to lax right now at $1,360 round trip, versus refundable y fares at $2,893 per round trip. If you want a refundable ticket, m is where you're going to end up. While I suppose the last seat or two might Y2 M0, in practice, I've seen M available down to the last seat on the lax route.

D, discounted business, is $3,269. This is a very small price to pay over Y. C, refundable business, is $3,769.

I once bought a refundable m fare, and decided to play the upgrade lottery. (recall their lax service typically only releases segment upgrades at the gate) My company pays for J, but I figured I'd have some fun (and hopefully save some dough).

As a pm on a m fare, I was near the top of the upgrade list...and on my particular flight, there was plenty of j availability ... So I felt fine that I'd make it. Had it been a close call, I would have simply paid for the j seat in the sky club ... But I saved $1,000+ for the house by paying a bit of attention to these overly complex rules of theirs.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  23. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    and you get access in Paris, but the CDG lounge dragons often have their own interpretations of the rules, so print out the page from the delta website showing that you get access, take that with you, and keep your fingers crossed. Depending on time of day, their food offerings are way better than what DL has in the sky clubs.

mtkeller and DeltaExpert like this.
  24. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    And bring your medallion card! (A magnifying glass for the microscopic ST Elite+ logo on there would also help.) Although, hopefully now that we're over five months into GMs having lounge access with same-day international flights, partner lounges are going to be better about it. I'm flying through CDG next weekend and will be testing the AF dragons with my GM card.

Gargoyle likes this.
  25. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Considering that for a few months after the rollout of Diamond status they were sometimes refusing entry to Diamonds (because their information only listed Platinum and not Diamond as eligible) I wouldn't count on them being up to speed. Bring full documentation.