Sky Priority and Priority Luggage tags

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by secretsea18, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently flew from DTW-NGO-MNL. The flight was delayed out of DTW because of a mechanical problem with the 747, and luckily there was a 747 parked one gate over that was substituted. We incurred an approximately 90 minute delay because of the need to transfer the baggage and cargo to the other plane. Arrival into MNL was about 75 minutes late... the pilots made up a little time and the layover in NGO was shortened.

As a PM and BE customer, I was pleased that DL was able to have a substitute 747 for us to use on such short notice. The only problem was that the luggage was not unloaded following SP rules. My bags (2 luggage + one large box) came off at around 10 minutes after luggage started unloading for the first piece... the box. And then the other two pieces of luggage arrived about 25 minutes later, near the end of the process. The SP bags came off at random intervals.

Given the delay, arrival to customs at MNL was around 2:15am instead of 12:10am as scheduled. In the past I could count on DL and previously NW to deliver the BE luggage right away.

How much do you think it was the transfer to the 747 or just inattention to the SP labels that caused the luggage to not be delivered properly???

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess they were just scrambling to reload the plane, and didn't really pay attention to the Sky Priority tags. Seems in an irregular ops situation protocols slip.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also potentially complicating it is that the OP was a through passenger on the plane, where bags loaded in DTW and bound for NGO were likely loaded than those going all the way through to MNL, and the quick move of planes in DTW complicated it even further.

DeltaExpert and secretsea18 like this.
  4. I like priority tags in terms of hopefully getting my bags sooner.
    Have also found that it probably targets them for extra attention around the world for theft and customs/bribery exercises.

5. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SkyPriority tags have been working for us consistently, on both domestic and international itineraries. I would tend to agree with techguru and mersk862 that the IRROPS was likely the prime cause of the fail.

Italy98, BondAir007 and Gargoyle like this.
  6. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than the flight in question, the Priority tags have always worked properly in MNL, both pre-merger and on other post-merger flights.

I figured that the messup this time was due to IROPS.

I was told by my favorite TA at LGA (she is PMNW) that the Priority tags are useful in overweight situations and that the bags are nearly guaranteed to be put onto the plane if they have Priority tags on them. That I think is a major benefit of the tags. [​IMG]

7. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 Emphasis was on transferring the luggage as quickly as possible, with little or no thought placed on order or priority, to reduce any further delay in departure.

8. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    The "priority" tags are slowly getting better. In my experience, they are more effective in the US than in other countries.

Dave

9. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't flown intl with them yet but have liked them domestically

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. The only issue I am seeing lately with the priority tags in the staff not tagging them at check in. I have had to request them the last 3 times I have flown. Twice at my home airport. I know who to avoid now, as it was the same person both times!

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what I would have thought, but I had a bag that was apparently deliberately offloaded from an overweight domestic flight where many of the nonpriority bags originating from my airport made it. DL still has never apologized in any way for this one and I'm still annoyed every time I think about how this was handled. (I know, it's not good to hold a grudge.)

12. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was told about the "priority tags" the airline was still NW. I have no doubt that now that it is DL, the policy has changed to 'something'.

Tenmoc likes this.
  13. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the priority bags are not loaded off first, it is usually the fault of the departing city airport for not loading the bags properly and not the arriving cities fault. Just an FYI

Skyvillager likes this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hah! I don't think so. I've had a priority tagged bag offloaded due to (aircraft) overweight when traveling on a FC ticket (A fare) on mainline MSP-ATL when nonpriority, nonstatus bags that were checked around the same time in MSP made the flight. And DL made absolutely no attempt to apologize!

15. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, the priority baggage service has improved lately. Last year, I remember a TATL flight where the very last bags to come out at JFK were the ones tagged priority - all the coach pax were long gone and those of us in BE were still standing around the carousel waiting.

This month, arriving in MXP, my priority-tagged bag was the very first one out and returning FCO-JFK, most of the first batch of bags - but not all - were priority. I didn't wait more than two minutes for mine. So I think in the OPs case, it was more a matter of IROPS rather than inattention to the priority tags.

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. I don't check luggage unless with fam. It seemed that PHL completely ignored the tags. Our bags were dead last. They generally are effective the few times I've used them. I suggest DL have these tags when checking luggage plane side (on small connecting jets). I'm often the last one to get my carry on going MDT to ATL for a connecting flight.

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately the plane-side valet luggage tends to be loaded as first on/last off, so if this matters to you, you might try to experiment with boarding through SkyPriority closer to the end rather than with zone 1 or 2.

18. Dorlee
    Original Member

Dorlee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on ShopAround's Italy tour, and had the same experience. And here I thought it was because of her influence ;)