Sky Club?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by JeremyCrabtree, Dec 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JeremyCrabtree

JeremyCrabtree Active Member

Status Points:
    Newbie to the boards thanks to USA Today. This might be the wrong place to even post this, so sorry in advance. :)

I'm a Delta gold member and was wondering what everybody's opinion on whether or not the Delta Sky Club is worth a membership? Company with almost exclusively flies with Delta and I often look longingly at the Sky Club doors as I trudge through the airports in Detroit, Atlanta and other places.

alohastephen, USAF_Pride and Davescj like this.
  2. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would first welcome you MP. That said, I think you need to look at a couple things. One, how long are most of your layovers? Anything regular over 60 min it is worth it to me.

My home airport (MKE) for example charges for internet (via boingo). The SC also offers quick snacks and drinks, which is a nice benefit. Even more important to me is the help with re-routes during IRROPS. I also like being able to use the printer in most clubs.

As a GM you do get a discount in membership. I buy 3 yrs at a time, as it is the "biggest" discount I can get.

Also, you may want to look at the various ways to enter. If you have the DL Reserve Card you can get in on the day of the flight if your'e on DL. With the AMEX plat card you can enter day of flight for nothing as well.

I'd suggest you buy the 30 day pass for 99 USD. See if you like the services, since you can apply the cost toward a perm membership.

Dave

wombat18 and tomphot like this.
  3. tomphot

tomphot Gold Member

Status Points:
    To echo Dave, it really depends on how long you'll use it.
    I live in ATL and never have a connection, if I didn't get it for free as a DM, I wouldn't pay for it.
    Years ago, before it was so easy to make a call with a cell phone, SC was a huge benefit as you were able to bypass the lines when stuff happened. Not so much of a factor these days.
    There has also been lots of gripping lately on how crowded the SCs are, sometimes I prefer the peace and quiet of the terminal vs the SkyClub.
    What is your home base?

4. DisneyDude
    Original Member

DisneyDude Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Dave. I do not live at a DL hub so most of my flights are connections. I have always found it a worthwhile investment to join the club, though I do not use the cash option, instead I use SkyMiles. For me the biggest benefit is actually in the case of IRROPS (= flight problems). The SC staff are 100% better at resolving the problem than the gate or terminal staff, and it is often easier to discuss alternatives face to face rather than speaking to someone on the special members line. In addition, the lines are ususally smaller, especially when there are major problems. One or two of the smaller clubs can get busy, but not too often.

5. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    My rule of thumb has been add up all the Starbucks I pay for at the airport over the year, and the easily is more than the Skyclub membership, it also helps that I almost always connect or originate at an airport with a lounge, although it seems like recently they have been more and more crowded.

tomphot likes this.
  6. JeremyCrabtree

Status Points:
    Home base is Kansas City, but I almost always have to connect through ATL, DTW or ORD when I'm on Delta. I have read a lot of complaints about the crowd, which is part of my concern.

7. JeremyCrabtree

Status Points:
    This is something that is very helpful. I can think of three instances where SC staff might have saved me a hotel stay in ATL because of travel issues.

8. JeremyCrabtree

Status Points:
    That makes a lot of sense, especially since I need my Starbucks fix when traveling.

Thank you.

9. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find the smaller B club in ATL to be crowed. But the others are OK, esp E. DTW has several clubs, and I find the North and South clubs to be the least crowed. But in all of them I find space.

I like that the former NW clubs still enforce the no cell phone rule (esp in the MEM section). MEM is probably my fav domestic club.

Dave

10. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    One alternative to getting an annual membership is to use one of the Delta Amex cards to get in for $25. Cost effective if you're only going to use the clubs for say 10 times a year. There have been numerous times when being a club member has been well worth it when I've had long delays.

DTWBOB

Davescj likes this.
  11. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like many of us, I've spent many hours in some of the clubs and I've noticed a pattern: yes, there are crowds (as in, every seat taken and lines at the bar), but that those crowds only last around ten-fifteen minutes. Talking to some of the staff, they tell me those crowds are predictable for certain times of day on certain days of the week. After the crowds clear out (as in, only a handful of people left!) the staff race around cleaning, restocking, and tidying up.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the Delta lounges and even more so with the staff. BTW, I use my Amex Plat to gain access to the lounges.

12. JeremyCrabtree

Status Points:
    Thanks again to everybody that replied. This is a pretty cool and active group. Appreciate the feedback... Pretty sure I'm going to give this thing a whirl.

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're thinking of paying the fee for the SkyClub...why not get an Amex Delta Reserve Card or an Amex Platinum Card? For about the same price, you get lounge access...plus a world of other benefits.

I carry both cards.

Here is my writeup on the Reserve Card. http://www.sitinfirst.com/2011/10/amex-delta-reserve-card-just-right-for-certain-customers/

There are a number of write ups on the regular Platinum Card floating around as well.

I'd encourage you to spend the money on one of these...and pick up the lounge access though the card.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  14. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another thing you can do if you don't have heavy travel at the start of the year is to buy up a pack of one visit passes from Groupon (good deal if you have some spacing between your visits), and try out the club a few times

tomphot likes this.
  15. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a former DL Reserve AmEx cardholder (until Diamond Medallion gave SkyClub membership), a few more things to add - a SC member gets access to more lounges than a passholder or AmEx user; in addition, the SkyClub member gets a consistent number of guests and access even if not flying DL. Our next trip is from BNA-LAS on Southwest but we'll have access to the BNA SC on my membership. This all comes back to frequency and duration of expected SC use.

tomphot likes this.
  16. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    One other thing to throw in the consideration pile, if you only want "into" the SC a few times to see what you think, post here or FT and see if someone will guest you into the lounge. I know many people will post the # of guests they can/will bring into the lounge. If I don't have anyone with me, I generally will guest people into the club. I am happy to help fellow FTers/Mileposters but also I figure it lets people decide if they want to spend the money for a membership themselves.

FWIW, I've also frequently offered to bring uniformed armed service members into the SC with me as a way to thank them for their service.

Muadeeb and tomphot like this.
  17. tomphot

tomphot Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the regular AmEx Plat card, you get lounge access and you also get $200 on board credit for DL.
    Last year I used it to buy day passes for friends, this year, they refunded $200 worth of fees that I was charged on award tickets.

18. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The access when not flying Delta is significant and potentially highly so, but what lounges does a SkyClub member get access to that a ST E+ with a Plat Amex does not? (I know there are some differences with the reserve - AS Boardrooms come to mind)

19. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering ST E+ only provides any lounge access on international itineraries and the Plat AmEx only gives SkyClubs (not SkyTeam partners), the question would be access to partner lounges on a domestic itinerary.

20. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Domestic partner lounges on a domestic itinerary, of course (important as most partner lounges are overseas). There are very few of these, and most of them the Plat Amex (or included priority pass) give access to. By my quick count there are I think 3 (Air France at IAD, Air France at SFO, Air France at JFK) Domestic lounges that you would not be able to access with a Plat Amex (or the included priority pass) that a full skyclub membership grants you. 2 of these are at airports with multiple Sky Clubs and really only make sense for international travel anyway.

I certainly may have missed something, but the only meaningful additional club I see is Air France at IAD. All that the Plat Amex gets you there is limited-hour access to the BA lounge, so you can be let with no access.

21. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many airports also have a Priority Pass Lounge (UA/CO clubs, AA clubs usually in the US). It is another alternative to consider.

As to what lounges you can get in under various situations, the DL webpage gives that information.

Dave

22. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's worth noting that priority pass membership obtained via a US financial institution won't have UA/CO club access included.

23. I have the Delta American Express card that gives me access to the sky lounges

24. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I don't like about the DL AMex (I assume you've got the reserve?) is that you don't get SC membership. UA with Chase has a similar program, but you get membership with the card, so you can use it even when not on UA on a particular day.

25. I'm going to start dong this.