Sky Club Access after Transcon in X

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by intueri, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've used the Sky Club dozens of times before traveling PDX-JFK or vice versa in X. Usually, my itinerary is DCA- JFK- PDX or PDX- JFK, and I've never experienced a problem. Last week, traveling PDX-JFK-BUF, the SC agent in JFK denied me entry, saying that I wasn't an international passenger. I brought up Delta's website on my mobile and showed it to her, but her response was, "Well, I don't know what the website says, but I got the rules right here." I ended up walking to the T3 SC, where the agent initially questioned me again, but then entered some sort of override and let me in. I made a frustrated comment, "Computer glitch?" and the agent replied, "Yes, computer glitch," but I'm not confident she comprehended my remark.

Delta's website says access is granted to "Customers traveling on a nonstop Delta First Class, BusinessElite, or full Y-class ticket between JFK and Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orange County, Portland, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, and San Francisco."

My ticket wasn't non-stop, but, again, I've never had a problem using the JFK SCs on my DCA- JFK- PDX tickets.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is access during a layover allowed? I asked for clarification via a TTU, and received an ultra empathetic and completely worthless, "We're sorry," message.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all, welcome.

I can't answer from experience, but my understanding is that the nonstop PDX-JFK or vv segment is what matters and not whether you are connecting on the East Coast to BUF, DCA, or whatever.

Part of the issue might be lounge access on WestCoast-JFK versus JFK-WestCoast at JFK. In the US, traditionally lounges (at least for the carriers I focus on) do not distinguish between arrivals and departures, but since this is so common elsewhere, I could imagine that the lounge dragons were reflexively imposing this standard and saying lounge OK before JFK-PDX but lounge not OK after PDX-JFK.

3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP - which boarding pass did you have the agent at the JFK SC scan? If they scanned the PDX-JFK BP you should have been allowed in. If you gave them the JFK-BUF BP then I can see them denying you.

In theory you should have been allowed in because you just got off the PDX-JFK flight and whether you are connecting at JFK or terminating there doesn't make a difference.

-RM

4. alpinesoccer
    Original Member

alpinesoccer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even if you had the correct information and are allowed in. All depends on who is sitting at the desk and their temperament. Again, something we always have to deal with when we fly. [​IMG]

5. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used the PDX- JFK boarding pass, which clearly showed I was in business (though when they scan the BP, I think your whole itinerary comes up). In reflecting back on her answers, it seems more clear to me that the agent just didn't understand that there is complimentary transcon access in certain cases. (She kept saying, "You're not on an international flight," and "you're not connecting to an international flight.") Hopefully my note to CS helped to provide a little reeducation for her.

6. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    intueri,
    It probably would have been better to ask the SC agent to look at the SC webpage, or show them that you are allowed in.

In other situations where the DL agent was in disagreement with the published rules/benefits on DL.com, I have fired up the smartphone and showed them the webpage indicating what was on DL.com. On other occasions, I have called Chisholm (when I was NW PE) and put them on the phone with the erroneous agent at the airport. Seemed to clear it all up lickety-split! [​IMG]