Ski Bags & Delta Allowance

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by USAF_Pride, Feb 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going skiing and have a question on bags. Normally SkyMiles Medallion members can have 2 bags up to 70# each. Does that also apply to the combo ski/boot bag?

2. PRWeezer

PRWeezer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IME, yes, and it's the weight of the 2 bags together. I've heard of agents who take issue with ski bags that have more than just skis/poles inside (i.e. clothing & other items) but have never had an issue with that myself...as you can see from my profile pic which is the condition in which my ski bag arrived in MUC after a TSA inspection. The zipper still worked, but apparently the agent moved things around & didn't bother to shuffle items further to get it zipped. Luckily no items were lost/damaged. Let's hope your bags have an easier ride!

3. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    where are you headed to go skiing? I had one opportunity to hit the slopes this year but it would have been at caberfae and it was windy as hell. I was there for a meeting that day and could have gotten 2 hours in but i forgot my boots and didn't feel as if renting all the equipment and the lift tix would have been worth it at that location. :eek:. This will be the first season in 24 years I didn't ski.

4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not consider any place in Michigan skiing. Colorado is where I am heading (convenient business trip), probably skiing Copper as Liftopia has a good discount.

5. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, but any port in a storm. It's pretty boring to ski by yourself in the mitten. I consider it more "social skiing". Copper is one of the few places in Colorado I have not skiied. My guys ski trip is headed to Breckenridge this year but it didn't work out with my schedule.

6. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would disagree with this and have be told this outright that the 50 lbs weight apply's even to medallions as the 70 lbs rule is only for bags not specialty items such as skis.

http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/baggage/index.jsp

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/sports_equipment/index.jsp#skis

But yes skis and boot bag do count only as 1 bag as long as both under 50 lbs and that silvers only get 1 bag free now not two as under the old rules.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been told that medallion's can weigh 70 by an agent who double-checked something. This is a ymmv situation I think. I was checking in with a 49 pound ski bag at the time.

deltaGOLDflyer likes this.
  8. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1
    Yes yes yes. The big problem is if you are at say a non-hub checking in with no Red coat or such and the agent wants to play hard ball, you may have to pay and then try to get the money back later from Delta. And then you may get the money back in an ETV that can not be used on more than one ticket etc etc etc!

9. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say it depends. I would check in normal online (don't mark as special item), and when you check-in have the agent tag as normal. I've never had an issue with my surf board or skis. But again I've never marked it as special, and I know most of the agents at SFO and MSN.