Sixt Platinum, any good?

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by torbster, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had the chance to use my platinum card, haven't even received the actual card yet, but I've been checking some prices online with and without the card# in some different european countries that I usually travel to, and might need to rent a car in..
    It says you can get up to 35% discount, but looks more like 8-10% to me..
    I just thought that, aside from FF, the people who receive this card rent more than 20 cars a year, I expected a better discount, espescially in germany..

But then again, I don't have any experience actually using it, do any of you?
    I'm wondering in what countries/cars/time-of-year the card might put me in the vicinity of a 35% discount [​IMG]

2. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some of the rates are kinda good compared to the negociated rates of my company. You can also get the Platinum Card by becoming a LH SEN.

3. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sixt Diamond is the new Platinum.
    The alleged rebate of 35% is off some fictitious rack rate.
    Sometimes the rate of the day on the website can be cheaper.
    Always best to compare logged in and logged out !

4. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    ah I see.. I saw the diamond card on a sixt site with a picture of the SAS pandion next to it, so I'm guessing it'll be out of reach for me as I'll never stack up the number of rents required; and pandion...forgetaboutit :)

cockpitvisit likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    They often do have better cars, at least, and sometimes decent upgrades.

6. With Sixt, it's usually cheaper to us a company contract number, however, without the corresponding password one need a travel agent to book it – or talk to the call center.

7. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which is not allowed. Or are this rates for public use?

8. That totally depends on the policy of the company. There are also a few discount rates out there, but you still need either a password or a travel agent in order to use them.

9. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, my company rates are for public use.
    We forced them to make such contracts so that we can offer these rates to our customers as well :)

10. totti
    Original Member

totti Silver Member

Status Points:
    The discount is not calculated this way anymore. They heavily reduced ths discount for Golds (10%), Plat (15%) and Dia (20%) but this discount applies to all published rates now including discounted internet rates.

11. Chriscross
    Original Member

Chriscross Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the Diamond card official? I can berely find information about my Platinum card (just signed my wife up for this one as she is SK EBG).

I have received som nice upgrades in France, for example a BMW 320 3 days for 100 Euro.

12. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

OSL_Commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it's real and official. Though the Avis Presidents Club Card is a better card even in Europe, since you always get the upgrade.

sobore likes this.
  13. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am quite happy with the Sixt Platinum card in Germany. For 75-99 Euro you'll be able to get a full-size (e.g. FDMR) car for the weekend and I've never driven away with something that I really hated. If you rent in the same town again and again walk around and check the various stations Sixt may have. There are price differences (availability) and some stations have huge numbers of decent cards (M3, 5 series BMW, ...) while others can only offer the odd SUV as free upgrade since they don't have anything else.
    Do you intend to rent locally or while traveling? My experiences with franchise locations like Bologna or Cyprus were sub-optimal.

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes- and usually the upgrade is pretty good- recently seems to be to an E-class Mercedes most of the time (which isn't too bad on fuel if it is the eco-diesel model).

15. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wish that was also true in the US.:(

OSL_Commuter likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. Car Rental in the USA has become a "not fun" experience.

17. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Huh, I always had the upgrades when renting in the US, perhaps I've been lucky?

18. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may depend on location. I have had bad luck in South Florida.

19. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Last time was in PHX a couple of weeks ago and I'm up for a car in CLT the week after next, so I'll report back after that.

sobore likes this.
  20. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As promised, an update of how "good/bad" the President Club card is. Again I have to say that it worked pretty well. I came in very late to Charlotte and the car that I had been assigned was not what I wanted to drive with, so I asked what else was available and ended up with a Mustang as that was the best car in the lot and I tell you, there was not a lot of selection so I took what I thought was the coolest drive...:) Though it was not that cool, but served a purpose.

torbster likes this.
  21. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had mixed luick with my Sixt Platinum in Germany. The first time we rented a car, they were fine with me renting it with another person as the primary driver. The car we got was a new Ford something 4-door model and we paid the same price a Smart was advertised for on the website. The next time, my husband was able to get a better rate through his company's contract with Europcar and the most recent time they came in the cheapest but would not let me book if I was not the driver so we went with an internet rate from another company. I am pretty familiar with the company though and they aim to be the cheapest with the best cars in Germany which often means you can get a great online rate on a BMW or Mercedes.

22. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, SIXT doesn't come close to competing on price. You will always find a cheaper rental. SIXT though have a somewhat nicer fleet of cars than the competition in my experience. However, I end up with Avis 99% of the times anyway.

23. cph_flyer
    Original Member

cph_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, indeed. Cross check prices logged in and not logged in. Found the rate cheaper NOT beeing logged in as Platin for a 3 day weekend rental in August. There was a small difference though in the terms. The cheaper rate came with a free max of 900km whereas the logged in granted unlimited km´s.

24. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I believe the upgrades are only valid for 12 months if you fail to requalify after signing via airline or hotel partnership.

Some cause like the following from the T&C when you sign up from here
    Aside from the rate problems or lack of actual discounts, the full benefits are as follows

* Upgrade to the next higher car group (subject to availability).
    * Fast Lane for privileges and fast service at all airports.
    * 35% discount on all discountable rates or the Sixt corporate rate.
    * 20% discount on Holiday Cars* when booked direct.
    * 20% discount on Sixt limousine service in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, 10 % discount in other foreign countries
    * Mobility guaranteed: Forgot your reservation?
    No problem: You will always get a rental car from Sixt if you call us up to 5 hours before your rental start time.

25. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to clearify, I'm not saying they are the cheapest but, at least in Germany, they offer lower rates on higher end cars so if your aim is to drive a BMW instead of a Kia, you should look at Sixt.