Sixt in Europe used to be the best, now is the most expensive.

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by Thomask, Sep 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Until a couple years ago Sixt used to have the best and most competitive rates. Be aware no longer is that the case. I used to book almost exclusively from them but now always shop around. You can get Enterprise for half the rate. Also Sixt now has second driver charge, one way rental charge, Class-bruch and tire insurance. In the old days wind-shields and tires were covered, now Sixt will charge you extra for that as well. Even though I am their Platinum member I stay away from renting from Sixt unless for weekend rates.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am renting a Sixt car in Palermo in about three weeks and their rate was the best (and convenient pick-up for my hotel) I could find. That said I have two more one-way rentals in Italy and I found Hertz to be consistently lower than all the rest ( with the current 35% discount) and Sixt came in mostly second best. All agencies have one way charges unless you are picking-up/dropping off at major stations say FCO-NAP
    Who I found surprisingly higher than in the past was Europecar.

Thomask and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is hit and miss with them in Europe. They sometimes have fantastic rates in the US now also.

4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this also. I did have to rent from SIXT once during the past year, at BRU, and they were on that one occasion the cheapest of the on-airport vendors. But that was a walk-up rental caused by irop and still was 70E plus the horrendous BRU taxes.