Single Parents Targeted for Travel Spending

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSYgirl, Nov 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Travel operators have a new target: unmarried women with money to spend on their nieces, nephews, or god-children. This demographic, nicknamed “PANKs” (Professional Aunt, No Kids), has potential especially in the US, argues a new report (pdf) on global tourism trends by Euromonitor.

The PANK phenomenon itself isn’t new. A report last year by public-relations firm Weber Shandwick claimed to identify about 23 million women in the US who fit the category. Like all such reports aimed at helping marketers define a target group, it bulged with statistics, some of dubious usefulness (“32% of PANKs say their usage of Facebook has increased during the past six months”), and breathless descriptions (PANKs are “highly social”, “avid info-sharers” and “ahead of the online media consumption curve.”) But the firm says three-quarters of the 2,000 women it polled spent over $500 a year on each child in their life, which it says translates to about $9 billion a year for the whole country.

Read more here: LINK.
    canucklehead and Newscience like this.
  2. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

no demographic for PUNKs? :)
  3. LAM

LAM Silver Member

I did not know I had a title. I plan on trying to take one niece to Central America and one to London for their high school graduation presents.