Single airline vs. multiple airline

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Desidivo, Jun 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am about to hit 1K on United this month. I will fly at least another 50 - 100K for rest of this year. While normally I try to stick to United, I was wondering if it would be worth having status on another airline like US/American.

What I was wondering is it make much sense to go from 100K to 200K since you gain almost nothing or would it be better try to get status on another airline.

2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on if you're buying high fares or not. If you're buying high fares the more money you make for UA then the closer you get to GS.

As far as if you should qualify for another airline, do you think another airline may better suit your needs for the upcoming year, will you actually use the status if you earn it?

8MiHi and Desidivo like this.
  3. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, my company's travel app allows us to buy mostly the lowest cost. While we have some flexibility (~10%), we get flagged if we go over that. I don't think I will get close to GS.

USAir is usually cheaper but I don't know much about it FF program. I get upgraded on 60% of united flights. I was thinking that after the merger, USAir and American might become a bit better (one can always hope).

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering how much you fly and unless you only purchase expensive tickets that get you automatic upgrades (Y/B/M) or allow you to fly up front (F/C), the 6 GPUs that you get for making 1K will not last you very long. Therefore, you may wish to consider getting up to 4 more GPUs by sticking with UA the rest of the way. You would then be able to save a ton of money by purchasing only the lowest GPUable tickets (W) and entering the upgrade lotto, which has worked out extremely well for me. Getting elite status with another airline would be desirable if there are places where you'd like to go but cannot easily on UA and/or *A (I cannot think of too many places like that)...

In any case, yours is a good "problem" to have.;)

8MiHi likes this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the same logic, if you can get 100k on AA, you get 8 of their GPU equivalents, which beat 4 extra UA GPU's. If you go that route, ask for a match or challenge so you're not starting from zero and sitting in the back for those 100k miles. If you can't get EXP on AA (by challenge or otherwise) by the end of the year, I would not bother moving.

Argument in favor of sticking with UA: more miles toward your million miler.

Arguments in favor of AA: more options next year. More miles toward lifetime there (how is your AA+US lifetime balance?).

The other factor: how reasonable are AA's routes for you? For someone living in a UA hub, adding the extra stops may not make sense.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The argument for UA is that the OP is already with UA to start with.

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For many years i have been Elite, often highest level, on multiple airlines. Recently it has usually been AA EXP (I stopped flying OW for a year and was relegated to Lifetime Platinum for a few months), DL Diamond and US CP. The latter two came almost entirely from flights on other SkyTeam (SU, AF and KL) and other *A (SQ, LH, LX, JJ). I have never found the uber Elite status to usually be worth much, just as Concierge key now is nice but no big deal.

Thus I'd have two from different alliances or more so long as you fly enough to gain the SWU's and other bennies of the highest tier, which you can often get by matching anyway. If you do not fly enough to do that what's the point? The only otehr reason would be if your destinations are varied enough that you really need more than one alliance's carriers. Not too many of us are in that category, but if you are choose SkyTeam if you fly within China much or to/from Russia a lot. Otherwise OW is worth it for Caribbean/Central America/South America/UK mostly. I cannot really judge internal US logic too well.

8. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great point about different destination. I will be traveling to many different destination in Europe and Asia. United and Star Alliance members have good coverage for Europe. Hoping AA and USAir will have most of Asia covered.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really, depending. OW really has Qantas, Japan Air Lines, Malaysian and Cathay Pacific as your choices. If you're traveling much within China SkyTeam is probably the best choice. With ANA, Singapore, Thai, Asiana, Shenzen *A looks very good. Depending on your specific plans OW will have you do more backtracking to HKG, NRT or KUL. While *A and ST do have better coverage.

In the end that is why I end out with all three plus EK. Unless you travel a lot, really a lot (150,000 BUS miles at least) a little hopping around is probably better than trying to maintain all of them. If you have a decent idea of your frequent travel spots you could plan your trips using the alliance website rather than individual carriers so you have a better idea of the net usability of the alliance for you.