Singapore's Raffles Hotel turns 125

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by uggboy, Aug 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    flyingdawg, marcwint55 and aptraveler like this.
  2. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whoa, 125 already? Although from experience, time really seems to stand still when one is enjoying many a Singapore Slings at their “Long Bar”, with the very relaxing and nice tropical feel of the Malayan plantation inspired decor, where the drink was actually invented. ;)

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my few sojourns into the Raffles lobby, staff has made sure that I've felt unwelcome. So I'll let it age another 125 years and buy my drinks elsewhere!

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were you staying overnight in the hotel? They do have a policy of trying to keep the outside tourists only in certain areas, especially at certain times of day, and enforcement is becoming stricter. For example, I've seen them turn away backpackers who wanted to come into the main lobby for a cup of coffee.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The wife and I are going to Singapore in May. She originally wanted to stay at Raffles and then changed her mind after reading some reviews. We are staying at the Conrad instead. I do plan on having drinks at Raffles and hope to get better treatment than you received.

6. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Raffles several times and each visit was a positive one. I felt well cared for by the staff, from reception to dining to room service.

The lobby is not large, so I am assuming the staff have decided to give registered guests some priority. And isn't that the way it should be?