Singapore or bust

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by Flying Bat, Oct 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Arriving December 07 for a short week, I am struggling to find any bargains. In fact it is remarkably expensive.

I have points with most programmes, and a free night award @ Hyatt which, surprise surprise has no availability.

Perhaps I should have entitled 'Singapore and bust.'

I enjoy staying at 4 star level properties
    Any good ideas welcome

Singapore Flyer and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about the
    http://www.royalplaza.com.sg/
    Same location as the Hyatt, it's 4 Star Plus, get's great reviews on TA and offers good value for the location.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    Flying Bat and Singapore Flyer like this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Singapore is an incredibly expensive city for hotels and at the same time, not the best for redemption. It is in that netherland that hurts either way. have you checked all the chains that you have points in? There is a new Westin that could be a good redemption. I have stayed at the HI Atrium which wasn't bad and close to Central. I didn't care for the Marriott. The IC is in the best location and with an ambassador program - BOGO on weekends, it may help lower the cost.

Flying Bat and uggboy like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's going on the week of 12/7?

I'll be there the week before staying @ the Conrad

uggboy likes this.
  5. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Useful suggestion - I have stayed there in the past, I didn't rate it. I will probably spend a bit more for something upscale,
    Thanks for mentioning it

6. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good ideas - yes Westin is up there in the options, a new hotel!
    but I did not feel the love at 12,000 SPG points per night
    BOGOF is a great idea, where i arriv Saturday - I will look at that

7. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm from Singapore. My recommendations :

4 star:
    1) Holiday Inn Atrium - near town, IHG Platinum benefits
    2) Grand Roxy Mercure - East part of town, near food and shopping, complementary shuttle bus to/from airport (with new Le Accor status benefits)
    3) Swissotel Merchant Court - very reasonably priced, near amenities

5 star :
    1) Conrad : exceptional service, Hilton honors, great part of town near our Marina skyline
    2) Moevenpick Heritage Hotel : in Sentosa

8. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    this great tool by Awardmapper may come in handy : http://www.awardmapper.com/map.html

shows an overview of the the points required for redemption for several major hotel chains, including Singapore (since you mentioned you have points in most programmes :))

CHK, Flying Bat and uggboy like this.
  9. sgkis
    Original Member

sgkis Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, the Holiday Inn Express just opened on Orchard Road. I think that's probably the best if anyone wants something cheap in a good location.. although I don't think that is what you are seeking. For 4 stars, I recommend the Regent hotel, located right besides the St. Regis. Decor is a bit dated, but intimate service nonetheless.

Singapore Flyer and Flying Bat like this.
  10. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    A great tool, thanks for sharing

11. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good suggestion, thank you

12. No its not I would not call 350 dollars a night that expensive.

13. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I would, depending on the hotel and time of year. I am not sure if you read my post. I said that majority of the time, the redemption value is not as great as other major cities, but still expensive enough that it isn't a no-brainer to pay for it. Redeeming points for Paris, definitely.

14. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    A pal has mentioned MBS Marina Bay Sands. I have not had success with my request for a discount.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  15. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Even with a discount last year, from an EE, it was still ~$275 USD for a basic king size room on a low floor at the "worse" tower. The best part was the pool. That was worth it to just relax and be up there. The night time views were just as nice.

16. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not everyone has the income to spend $3000 a night for a hotel.

For Singapore, compared to the rest of SE Asia, $350 is expensive.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  17. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Did he delete his post? I think it is apples to oranges...the hotels that "we" pay $350 for are no where in the same league as the $3000 ones that he mentions. These are for the most part basic hotels with maybe above average service. Not the true luxury that you get a safari, spa, etc.. In that sense, it really is difficult to get good value.

Flying Bat and edekba like this.
  18. I deleted my insensitive messages and apologies to the OP for seeing an unnecessary message. regards adam

19. I think a wallpaper guide might have some great suggestions LOL

20. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes; totally agree.

Not insensitive; just different people have different ways of measuring. Like I said; most ppl don't have the incomes to only stay @ Lux Hotels & think $3k/night is something they would do...

21. I am constantly changing my trip because no one has said this is the best value trip in ways of price culture and variety of experiences and uniqueness. and have been through 8 travel agents because none have said this is the best country on earth in my opinion an yes they all have been virtuoso. I also find Australian virtuoso agents to be quite rude. See I want to develop a route that the travel agent thinks is good. Not much asking me what is a great country because I have only been to a few.

22. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still, it is possible to negotiate down high headline rates to a more accessible level. It takes a bit of work, charm and possibly a little bit of luck, but don;t expect an agent to find you deals like this, his driver is his commission %. Just in my opinion neither is it reasonable to expect a travel agent to have experienced the deluxe chains and thereby be able to offer any quality advice.

23. when are you thinking of going ? and what is the max amount per a day , also are you willing to extend your stay to get a discount

24. If you are responding to my post I am not looking at discount rates. But the travel agent has to say this will be an excellent trip and also needs to have travelled to as many countries as possible.

25. I agree staying at Fairmont is like staying at moderate hotel. They are so awful I am not sure why they are virtuoso.