Singapore mini-do :)

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Aug 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is an open invitation to anyone living, visiting or passing through Singapore.

I'll be here through October, working during the day and usually traveling weekends, but would love to meet for a chat or a sampling of the local cuisine when the schedules align. Can't really afford drinking here so I avoid such venues, but the hawker food could be a nice alternative especially for visitors.

Feel free to get in touch: +65 8308 0233

--Russ ;)

2. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kung Pao and jbcarioca like this.
  3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    missed my chance to try "pacar cina" (chinese girlfriend) in Jakarta last weekend, will have to make another trip to Indonesia for this highly recommended drink... wonder if they sell it in Singapore?

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that drink is available in other places in Asia with some modification. Something like for dessert. :) Perhaps any MPer from Indonesia can help explaining the "pacar cina" drink.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    General_Flyer should know, although he claims to drink only champagne. I think he's in Asia now.

jbcarioca and SQ LPP like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the person visiting could bring in some booze? (anyone know offhand how much a visitor can bring in w/o tax?). I love sitting at a hawker center at 1am after arriving into SIN, cold Tiger beers from a pitcher & hot/spicy food. Have met many an FT'er in this setting.

Thanks for the invite, SIN has long been a favorite MR destination when fares from ORD on UA were <$600 but the fares are almost all >$1300 now for a W fare or higher:eek:

I do have a couple of last SWUs I need to burn, perhaps a visit to SIN would be in order as I have some other buds that will be there also.

mynameismud and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    One litre of spirits, wine and beer each. Bottled beers aren't expensive at all in the hawker centres, though I'd be hard-pressed to find one that does them on tap.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    One thing I find amazing is that Singapore has no open container laws.

You can drink your booze on the streets openly. If that's your thing.

Would be happy to meet for a late night hawker adventure... there's even a hawker center at the airport, in the parking lot of T2 third floor I think... but the atmosphere there isn't as nice as at most other city ones.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, if you don't bring in any hard alcohol, you're allowed a second bottle of wine. There's duty-free upon arrival at SIN 24/7 (at least in Terminals 1, 2, and 3; I've never been in the Budget Terminal) so you don't have to worry about carrying liquids onto the plane. The hawker centers and some restaurants like at the seafood places along the coast sell huge cans of beer (to share).

Kung Pao and jbcarioca like this.
  10. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had message him. It seems he doesn't know about the "pacar cina" drink. :D Could it be those drinks are specifically targeted to expats in Jakarta? :)

jbcarioca and G_G like this.
  11. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are right. Here is the duty-free allowance listed in KrisShop:

• 1 litre spirit, 1 litre wine & 1 litre beer, or
    • 2 litres wine & 1 litre beer, or
    • 1 litre wine & 2 litres beer

Yes, I recalled all Terminals 1, 2 and 3 has a duty-free shop after immigration counters. Used to by champagne after arrival, and will go inside my check-in bags when leaving Singapore.
    I think there is no duty free at arrival in Budget Terminal, but I may be wrong. :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I vaguely remember purchasing alcohol while flying in with Tiger, so I would think that there's duty-free at Budget Terminal too.

jbcarioca and MSPeconomist like this.
  13. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops... A friend corrected me about this. Yes, there is a duty free shop at ARRIVAL in Budget Terminal. :cool:

14. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    "These colourful round jellies on the bottom of the drink is called Pacar Cina, or roughly translated to Chinese Lover. The drink itself is a mix of lime, nata de coco (coconut extract), a little orange squash syrup, water, and of course, pacar cina. (and Ice of course)"

"Pearl tapioca is easily confused with pearl sago, an equivalent product made from a different starch. In Indonesia these are sometimes multi coloured and nicknamed Pacar Cina"

That's what I've found on internet !

jbcarioca, MSPeconomist and SQ LPP like this.
  15. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! :)

But I thought it was something else... Yes I did remember about the round jellies. And I recalled there were shaved/crushed ice with thick coconut milk and palm sugar syrup. More like dessert than drinks. Or perhaps I went to different part of the region. :D

16. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Over 750 people signed up to attend the Ku De Ta event atop the Marina Bay Sands organized by InterNations.org

If anyone's in town tomorrow (Friday, August 19th) do attend.

$20 admission that includes a drink, and lots of professionals to mingle with.

if you need an www.internations.org invite, please e-mail me: asiagolyak@gmail.com

jbcarioca likes this.