Singapore Italian-my new favorite Casa tartufo

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by jbcarioca, Sep 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Casa Tartufo is in the Forum Shopping Mall on Orchard Roan near Tanglin Road (583 Orchard Road). It has been open a little less than a year and is a superb place for an Italian Fix, especially with truffles.

Their website explains the story:
    http://www.casatartufo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=2

We were so enamoured of the place that we went back twice. The wine selections are excellent values, mostly less widely known Piemontese.

The Zuppa al Tartufo is simply delectable with a mushroom flan and generous shavings of truffles. I have never had better.

The Tajarin and Ravioli are absolutely delightful. You'll not find better pasta.

Finally, the Truffle ice cream is indescribably delicious. Alex makes it using a reduction of fresh truffles (not truffle oil) and it is superb!

Alex and Tammy import fresh truffles and mushrooms from Italy, so seasonal specialties are always available.

Mrs jb and I have traveled in quest of truffles, including seasonal specialties from France, Italy and Croatia. We have done that for several years. never have we had better than a Casa Tartufo.

It is not too easy to find, being located deep in the interior of a small mall. It will be worth your while to splurge here. You can save on other meals by eating the superb hawker meals elsewhere.

TRAVELSIG and MSPeconomist like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    fix is a good term IMO as in no way am I going to an Italian place while in Singapore. I suppose if one is based in SIN, has a long assignment, or is adverse to Asian cuisine, I could see going to an Italian place.

Being so out of the way, how did you stumble upon it? (BTW, thanks for the review)

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there are a couple Italian restaurants around Holland Village but I don't know how good they are, surely not as good as this one. There might also be one up around the botanical gardens and zoos. There's an Italian cafe on the first floor of Raffles City, IIRC off the lobby of the Swisotel rather than the Fairmont. It seems popular.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am extremely fond of Singaporean food and have been for most of my life. Living there for a year certainly helped. Italian places have often been excellent there possibly in part because of stylistic commonality between some Straits foods and some Italian ones. Really excellent ones have been rare and have, when they existed, been the product of collaboration between Italian/Singaporean people IME. Casa Tartufo is no exception since Alex worked for Raffles and subsequently merged with Tammy, who is a couple fo months away from their first "little chef", as Alex says it.

I found them while searching for truffles to have with mee goreng (we do that in season when in Singapore). In Cold Storage (a Singaporean food store of long standing) I heard a reference to Casa tartufo as "the" source for seasonal truffles in Singapore. I never had the truffles with mee goreng this time.

You have a good memory MSPeconomist. That is Prego, which has been around for some years. It is good, IMO, but not really good enough to make me leave hawkers. Frankly I define excellence in Singapore by whether I can induced to leave hawker stands for whatever it is. There are quite a few italian restaurants in Singapore because many locals are devotees of Italian food. Apart from hotels foreigners are not really often seen in the better Italian places. We did not see any other foreigners at Casa Tartufo while we were there, for example.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    My heart & stomach (Mrs Sweet Willie says they are one in the same) are wistfully dreaming about a year in Singapore.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be grand to meet you, and to do so in Singapore even better. Mrs. jb and I often discuss moving there to stay.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Darn, now I'm hungry:)

jbcarioca likes this.