Singapore flight 21

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by merice107, Aug 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't know if this should be in the Singapore section but since I am new I figured this would work.

I was curious about if you could use miles to fly that flight in the all business class plane? How many miles is it? Is it easy to get a reward seat? If you can use miles, do they have to be Krisflyer or can they be from other star alliance airlines?

2. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    From my (somewhat limited) Singapore knowledge, they only release that award space for their own Krisflyer members. But you can transfer Ultimate Reward Points to Krisflyer to get it. The miles you will have to check on their website for the charts. Not too sure. There are many other experts out there that could be of more help.

perryplatypus and FlyingFree like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically UR doesnt go into Krisflyer. UR goes into UA miles which sometimes can book sQ flights; but not SQ21 (or at least what I've seen).

The only way I know of is Amex MR -> KrisFlyer.

Also ... read up here.
    http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/ppsclub-krisflyer/RedeemMiles_SQMI/

Jimgotkp, perryplatypus and daemon14 like this.
  4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As edekba said, the best way is to earn Krisflyer miles through AmEx, though the transfer isn't instant.

SQ 21 has only 100 seats total (all J) and it often has a waitlist for paid tickets, so I wouldn't be surprised if award inventory isn't easy to come by. The Tuesday and Wednesday night flights seem to be the best for availability, since they arrive Singapore on Thursday or Friday morning, which doesn't gel with the normal business traveler schedule.

With SQ's 15% online discount, it would be 72250 miles, so 73K Amex MR points -> SQ one-way.

merice107, perryplatypus and edekba like this.
  5. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does this all apply for SQ37 LAX-SIN? I see that in Flight Aware the aircraft is labeled as A340-500. Seat Guru shows that the only A340-500 is the all BC model.

Perhaps I should have taken the plunge out of the "Newbies" forum on this one and posted it in the SQ forum...

6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ye
    Yes. EWR and 1 of the 2 LAX flights are on the A345.

7. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Taxes and fees are around $310 USD, but that's slowly creeps upward with the USD being devalued against the SGD.

8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering it's a very special flight and will be going away soon, I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind paying the $310 taxes/fees.

daemon14 and merice107 like this.
  9. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    we cancelled our UA award on SQ21 booked during the SIA website "jailbreak" and booked it using AE->KF. Amazing how much a price difference in points and fees it was, but we also moved the flight up 4 days, so that is worth it in our book. Yes, it was well over $600 in fees for two tickets. It has on occasion opened up seats on UA, but haven't seen it in a while. I remember seeing them over the early part of the summer for travel usually within 2 weeks and closer to a week. Since then, nothing. IMHO, it seems that a lot of the UA award tickets have disappeared since that jailbreak and 4mile debacle. Then again, it could also be high season. :rolleyes: