Singapore Airlines' remaining A380s to have 409 seats

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by jbcarioca, May 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Singapore Airlines is to reduce the seating density on its remaining Airbus A380s by 13%, slashing the economy-class cabin in favour of more business-class accommodation.
    The airline is to fit just 409 seats in the eight outstanding A380s which it has on order.
    Singapore Airlines' in-service fleet of 11 A380s are configured with 471 seats. These comprise 12 first-class and 60 business-class seats.

http://www.flightglobal.com/article...rlines-remaining-a380s-to-have-409-seats.html
    FlightGlobal is quoting Air Transport Intelligence News.

This will still leave SQ with slightly higher density than the new KE aircraft but only by a couple of seats.

2. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    :( shame. I really like the upper deck Economy cabin. Never sit anywhere else when flying on the A380.

3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I prefer a suite if I can get it, otherwise business, so I am happy about this change.

4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love to try a Suite too, but it's out of reach for me. I've been on an SQ A380 10 times, 6 of those have been in Business, the other 4 times in Economy, where I always sat on the upper deck. So I haven't even set foot on a A380 main deck yet.

It was good to know that if I had to be stuck in Economy I could have a seat on the upper deck, where it's quieter, there are less people, and the service is faster.

I hope the change is route-specific and they'll keep the A380 with upper-deck Economy seating on the routes I'm usually flying.

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be a long time before they retrofit all the fleet, I suspect, so you'll probably have the current configuration for some time to come.

6. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am just hoping it'll take them a long time to get their a/c delivered so then they'll stay away from SQ25/26 until I can fly with them one last time next year..

IMO, I think old F is still superior than new F.. But might change my mind when trying R..

As of this time, I often wondered why SQ doesn't put R up top instead of down below.. :rolleyes:

cennas, SQ LPP and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    All the airlines that currently have A380, IIRC, have FC on the lower deck. I do not know why.

SQ LPP and General_Flyer like this.
  8. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I thought LH and EK both have F on the top deck?

9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The wiki proves you correct. My bad. My earlier AFAIK is because I have been on Qantas, Air France and Singapore. They happen to be the three so far that put F on the lower deck. So much for my assumptions. I should do research before I speak!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_configurations_of_the_Airbus_A380

cennas, SQ LPP and General_Flyer like this.
  10. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :p Well, that is fine. Is there a differential between having it on the upper deck or the lower deck anyways?

11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have only been on the lower deck ones. I cannot image any material difference. Some suggest the UD may be quieter, but the lower deck is very quiet too. In C upper vs lower I cannot tell the difference, and F is all the way to the front so it must be even quieter. Otherwise what would it be?

General_Flyer and SQ LPP like this.
  12. Nope..

EK's is on the upper deck.

SQ LPP and jbcarioca like this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    See post #9 above. I already found out that AFAIK needed to do research. Both of you caught me:oops:

cennas and SQ LPP like this.
  14. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.. Perhaps the lower cabin is more spacious than the upper cabin? Or is it of the same width?

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    EK's philosophy is nothing to do with that. Rather, EK puts all its A380 premium passengers on the upper deck, just as all premium passengers are on the upper floor of the terminal at DXB. All A380 economy passengers are on the main deck, reflecting the fact that they are all on the lower floor of the DXB terminal. The idea is that A380 premium passengers should be able to board, disembark and transfer at DXB without ever having to encounter the great unwashed downstairs. (And, unfortunately, that is too often literally true in EK's case.)

SQ LPP, General_Flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is so logical, but I did not think of that. Many years ago PIA did things to similar effect, although there was not double deck boarding for them.

17. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are we talking about mostly Arabians or what? :rolleyes: :p

18. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, as it happens, not really.

Those who know EK and Dubai well will probably have a pretty good idea. My sister, who lives there, will (if pushed) fly economy on BA and CX - but not on EK.

SQ LPP, jbcarioca and General_Flyer like this.
  19. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've never flown there anyways, so I may not have the proper sense of what is going on.

Hmm.. I guess its the same thing why a lot of people doesn't really like to fly SQ to IAH..

20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much of the Y load is workers in the Emirates from the Indian subcontinent and other regional travelers. Many of them are very poor and do not have the same sense of sanitary standards that most milepointers might prefer. That was tthe point of my PIA comment earlier in the thread. EK Y has the same character that other regional airlines have in Y, but on long-haul EK those passengers have not been in evidence IME, just on regional flights. Every carrier, including SQ, has that issue within the region.

21. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the explanation. That was most enlightening. :)

22. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The lower deck is about 2 feet wider than the upper deck.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now I don't understand the comment about the SQ IAH flight. It stops in Russia, so what's the population of workers that it serves?

24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only oil/petroleum people, I suspect. From my earlier comment "...but on long-haul EK those passengers have not been in evidence IME, just on regional flights. Every carrier, including SQ, has that issue within the region." I have not seen that issue on any long-haul flights, personally, nor have I heard of it being such an issue. of course i would not care to by in long-haul Y under any circumstances if I had a choice. General_Flyer may have other explanations.

25. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It was an explanation given by my TA a while ago.. Russian tourists in Y in a sense. Indonesians once they flew this route generally avoided it afterwards because apparently, these Russians are a rowdy bunch and didn't seem to bother with showers either.. :rolleyes:

That is good to know, thanks! :)

SQ LPP, lwkatya, cennas and 1 other person like this.