Singapore Airlines pulls plug on self-service check-in kiosks

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by sobore, Dec 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/business/2011-12/13/c_131303207.htm

Singapore Airlines has become one of the first to stop the use of self-service check-in kiosks at Changi Airport, due to low usage and the increasingly popular option of Internet and mobile check-in.

The airline has 24 self-service kiosks at the airport that allowed passengers to pick their seats and print their boarding passes, local daily Straits Times reported on Tuesday.

Those with luggage can drop them off at stipulated counters for loading onto the aircraft. The entire process took about five minutes, compared to eight to 10 minutes for a counter check-in.
    Singapore Airlines introduced the check-in kiosks in November 2006. They were provided by ground-handling firm Sats.

jbcarioca and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used it a few times when it was first introduced. Not really self-service as there was always an agent who insisted to operate the kiosk for me.

I agree these kiosks were probably not needed in the first place, given just how efficient SIN is. There are never any long lines for the *G or the J check-in counters. It usually takes me about 5 minutes from getting off the cab to the lounge. Can't imagine doing that at any other airport.

3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the thing: it's only because SIN is so efficient that this decisions makes sense!

cennas and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO the mobile checkin made it more so. I notice many people using the app to checkin, including me, and checking bags is tricial too, just hand your smartphone, they scan the QR code and you're gone. There seems no point for the kiosks anymore, but they were handy when they began, before QR codes became ubiquitous.

cennas likes this.
  5. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess Internet check-in was the death knell; it's the same thing but at home!

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That too, lots of people check in with pieces of home printed paper. I use the QR codes to save trees.

cennas likes this.
  7. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a heretic on that front: print the paper, then ask them to print me a proper boarding pass :(

(I only print the paper because they always frown when I say I checked in but didn't print it.)

8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call me old fashioned, but I actually prefer a proper boarding pass since I collect the stubs. Plus it's always nice to have an interaction with the check-in agents, although they're not always friendly at SIN :)