Singapore Airlines is taking a leap of faith at Y Class.

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by ACMM, Oct 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Singapore Airlines said on Friday that it plans to launch a premium economy service in the second half of 2015, after years of resisting the move due to concerns it would reduce the appeal of its business class seats.

The airline, facing growing competition from Middle Eastern carriers and falling demand from companies for business class travel, said it would initially roll the service out on its medium- and long-haul routes.

"The market has matured in premium economy and we think it is right for us now to embark on this," Mak Swee Wah, head of the airline's commercial activities, told reporters and analysts at a briefing.

He said the target market would be a mixture of business and leisure travellers seeking more legroom than is available in regular economy.

More at the link above ...
    Zomby Woof, WilliamQ, NYCUA1K and 4 others like this.
  2. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

I think its a smart move. Premium economy might not be worth as much as business but there is probably a larger market for premium economy than business.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Seems that SQ may be descending down from the self-elevated pedestal on which they stood, deluding themselves into thinking that SQ spelled "Special Quality". I can vouch about "the growing competition from Middle Eastern carriers" because last year I had to fly on Qatar from SIN to DPS (Bali) after failing to find a *A award seat or even an affordable revenue seat on SQ, which used to have at least 3 daily flights to the popular Indonesian resort...
  4. davewho??

davewho?? Active Member

Premium Economy is defiantly the growth driver for airlines now. BA, I believe were the first to install although their original product was poor compared to rivals that adopted afterwards. SQ is a little late to the party here, but I'm glad they're doing it.