Singapore 2019 - Part 2 -( Was the Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card or ??)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Teritrips, Oct 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Teritrips

Teritrips Member

Status Points:
    I thought I would start a new thread since I've gained more knowledge in this area, thanks to the expert folks of this forum. First all THANK YOU so much for being so informative and patient with all of my questions.

I have questions about these two entities: Star Alliance (SA) and Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card (CSP)

SA- It appears is the "Grand Poo Bah" holding spot of a lot of airlines under one category.

CSP - Is a credit card that you can accumulate points towards some of the airlines that are under the SA umbrella. ie: Singapore Airlines and United. Let's say I have 40k because of the credit card intro bonus.

It appears that with CSP that you redeem your airline points through their Ultimate Rewards Program site. Unfortunately, it appears that I can't access the site until I have a card - thus my upcoming questions.

I am accumulating points with travel with United Airlines. Let's say I have 20K points/miles.
    If I use the CSP Ultimate Rewards Program, how do I combine my United 40K with the current 20k that I have now to use towards travel?

Also, on the SA site it says that I can't transfer points between partner airlines. I've got 12,000 Turkish Airline points that I would love to move into the SA pot of points. Is there any loop hole that I don't know about to transfer those points.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Star Alliance is just the name of a marketing group for a group of airlines that have banded together to help facilitate travel among Members and airlines. (Flight from LAX to NRT on United, then transfer to a ANA flight from Tokyo to Singapore etc... and you'll earn some miles, have your status acknowledged, etc... Only thing you need to remember is if you use a member airline's miles to book; you should be able to use them to book flights on other airlines within the same alliance. (Use United miles to book flights on ANA, Lufthansa, Asiana etc.)

1. With CSP, UR you can transfer to various airlines like UA or SQ. Thus your 20k you earned via flying + 40k you transfer from Chase = 60k UA miles. You book your flight from United and no longer have anything to do with Chase once you transfer them to UA.
    2. Once they're in member airline loyalty program; you can't transfer them to other within the same alliance. You can only use their miles to book flights on alliance airlines. I'm not sure what 12k Turkish Miles are worth so I can't help you there.

3. Teritrips

Teritrips Member

Status Points:
    Okidoki. I think I get it. The transfer is done through the UR site onto the airlines.
    I hear there are very limited first and business class offerings with reward travel. What if I transfer the points and then find out that there aren't any seats left? From what you are saying above, I believe that if the airline is apart of the alliance then I can just use my UA points on another airline in the same alliance, correct?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct.
    Don't transfer until you know the award seats you want are there.
    Yes, assuming it makes seats available to that partner and you have enough points to redeem for it.

edekba likes this.
  5. Teritrips

Teritrips Member

Status Points:
    Great adviceThanks for your help'