Since when does working for the TSA make you a) a comedian or b) my daddy/mommy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by diver90, Mar 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Soooooo... Went through security today and noticed I had a bottle of water in my computer bag. I looked around for a garbage can and there were none in evidence near the aluminum tables by the X-ray machines. I took the water bottle and placed it at the far corner of the table and proceeded to put my "stuff" into the plastic trays and go through security.

When I got to the other side of the X-ray machine one TSA staffer came up to me and said, "You know these plastic trays are free." I looked at her and said, "Excuse me? They're free?". I had placed two laptops in one bin, side by side and she pointed at the bin. "We need to see both computers. You should put them in two bins." Lightbulb #1 went off - "diver90 just STFU and let it pass."

Then TSA staffer #2 piped up, "Sir is that your water bottle?"

"Yes it is", I answered.

"Well you shouldn't leave it over there. You should go find a trash can and throw it out before you go through security.I should make you go back through and dispose of it."

Lightbulb #2 - STFU X2 plus my best vacant stare.

Hey, I know everyone is different but really?

Exit Row and bluesky like this.
  2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    STFU is the best policy everytime. You have the right to remain silent....you have no other rights when TSA is involved.

3. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sad, but true. Ignore them is the very best policy

4. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Urgh. There is no way to win an argument with them. And retaliatory screening ruins your day. I think STFU was absolutely correct, but I doubt I'd have the self-control :)

Exit Row likes this.
  5. Tor Viking
    Original Member

Tor Viking Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had to think hard what STFU meant....I guessed half of it right, but had to look up the rest on google....hehe
    I'm gonna use it on facebook from now on :)

6. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    You chose the best course. The folks at TSA are on a power trip and don't hesitate to let you know. The "nanny" situation is engrained from the nanny state that we've become, no way to fight that. It's not worth the retaliatory screening that you'll get.....

7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's obvious having a garbage proximal to where people might need to dispose of water bottle would be dangerous to the TSA employees.

Wish I had the ability to listen to those voices saying STFU.... it rarely works though.

8. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Face it, every customer facing staffer in the US aviation industry, including the TSA is your momma/daddy. In other words they all treat us like children. That's why it is such a pleasure to fly with non-US airlines in and out of non-US airports.

9. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    Precisely. Won't all that harmful water (I'm talking about the amount over 3 ounces) be dangerous to the agents? It's very dangerous to the secured part of the airport and to the aircraft and fellow pax and FAs and pilots and... and... I mean...really? ANYBODY!? [​IMG]

Ugh...it's all such a joke.

10. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just give them a blank, YSS stare, and STFU
    One time, I took a 4.7 ounce tube of toothpaste through security, un-scathed. I still feel soooooo guilty.