Since when do opt-outs not go through the metal detector?

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by hulagrrl210, Dec 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday going through security I opted out of the X-ray machine as I always do, but in the past I have always still had to go through the metal detector before I get my enhanced patdown. Yesterday this was not the case, I only got the patdown and let me just say it was LESS than enhanced...not that I am complaining about that, but there were numerous areas on my body that went untouched where I EASILY could have stashed something of sharp and/or metallic nature. Doesn't really make me feel any safer...

cordray2643, Gargoyle and The Boat like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's ok, with their legendary failure rate, they probably would have missed the hypothetical sharp objects even if they did a body scan or WTMD.

They probably realize that if you were a real terrorists you wouldn't opt out, you'd just stash the bad stuff in body cavities or skin folds, the same old fashioned technique that smugglers have used for decades (centuries?).

hulagrrl210 and cordray2643 like this.
  3. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've don't recall ever having gone through the metal detector as an opt-out - ORD, RIC, ATL, SLC, and probably more I'm forgetting.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've gone through metal detectors when opting out in SJC, PHX and BNA. there was one time when I did not go through metal detector in PHX.

A bigger question to me is on why is the pat down 100% mandatory (as it appears to be) if refusing back scatter, yet at the airports I go through, at least 50% of the people just go through metal detector and that's it. Refusing back scatter makes anyone a potential terrorist in need of personal touch?

BTW, both PHX and BNA on the trip I am on right now had rather thorough pat down.