Simplified Phone Menu Prompts for Premiers

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Jul 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you a heads up and some background about some upcoming modifications to the phone menu options for Premier members.

In the past, Premiers had to go through a number of automated prompts before getting transferred to an agent. Since one of the benefits of a priority line is ‘time to agent’, we’re simplifying the process that it actually takes to talk to one. Starting this week, we’re streamlining the menu prompts that lead to the most popular options for Premiers:

Upon verification of your MileagePlus number, the updated menu will look like this:
    • Flight Status (or press 1) – Real-time flight information
    • MileagePlus Account Servicing (or press 2) – Assistance with MileagePlus-specific issues, e.g. account questions
    • Representative (or press 0 or Hold) – Automatic transfer to a Reservations agent
    The above menu has been shortened from five to three options, with “Representative” being the default if the other two aren’t selected. ‘Flight Status’ will continue to provide quick, automated flight information, while ‘MileagePlus Account Servicing’ ensures you get to a representative that can assist with these specific questions. The bottom line is that by filtering out the more redundant options upfront in the call, we can get Premier members to an agent or needed information quicker than before.

We’ve just begun to roll out the new menu options across our systems, so you may start to notice them as early as today.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

2. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good stuff, thanks! :)

stephenbgarvan and jbcarioca like this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    People still call in for flight status? :)

4. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Praises be to the d.r.S.L. for the added convenience!

5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would just like it if the system would recognize my number.

6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thought exactly.

7. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about when it answers the phone you can just immediately speak the record locator and that automatically connects you to an agent and pops up the relevant itin on his/her screen? :D

8. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I imagine UA has data on it and they wouldn't include it if people weren't using it. But yeah, who wants to call when it's all there in the app? :confused:

Gtitan, jbcarioca and ssullivan like this.
  9. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The replies on FT are hilarious.

meFIRST and jbcarioca like this.
  11. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are times when the mobile app becomes glitchy, and the airport screens cannot be trusted.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I'm sure. Plus, they developed the functionality years ago. At this point it probably costs nothing to keep it turned on, so why not?

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airport screens, especially at non-hubs, can be an issue. In many cases those aren't pulling live data anyway, and I've seen manual updates made to some at the gates at some smaller stations. But, wouldn't the website, mobile app, and phone system all be pulling flight status from the same source?

unavaca and jbcarioca like this.
  14. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but I've also been in many airport situations where the mobile app simply wasn't working well (lotsa data users, few cell phone towers at airports) and checking flight status by phone proved effective.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    But that would mean moving to being EXP instead of/and 1K. I really like the automatic hot transfer to an agent who already has my most current PNR on screen before we say a word.

Gtitan and genemk2 like this.
  16. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still wondering if the ability to store the same phone number across multiple profiles will ever come to fruition as it would be nice to have goalie-parents' and goalie-sis' number stored in my profile as well as theirs as an additional point of contact (worked fine under the PMUA website and was very helpful during irrops when my parents were flying [and obviously unreachable in the air] and I rec'd the call)

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, there are still folks, generally in older age groups, who have QWERTY phones rather than smart phones if they have cell phones and who don't have a laptop or tablet with them and powered up at all times. Some of those folks may still be Premiers.

It's a diminishing group to be sure, but it still exists.

18. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting idea, but how useful is that really going to be if the only place you have the PNR accessible is on your phone - the one from which you're calling? If such an option existed, I wouldn't want it to be the only way. I travel relatively paperless and live and die by my smartphone. If I need to call UA mid-trip, odds are I'm not going to have access to a confirmation number on anything other than the device I'm calling from, which makes getting that info where I can read it to the phone a bit more difficult. I like just giving my MileagePlus number, which I know by heart, and having the agent able to quickly pull up the reservation, which they seem to be able to do within a matter of a couple of seconds.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I was sorta kidding since it's probably overkill. In truth though I do always memorize the locator before I call, so it would be cool for me. But I wasn't really suggesting that I'm normal. ;)

jbcarioca and ssullivan like this.
  20. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. Anyone who has ever tried to navigate voice response menu in a noisy terminal with constant announcements in the background knows that the only working option is indeed "Representative".

21. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Aaron. Why can't you guys just recognize our phone numbers so we don't have to go through the pain and suffering of speaking our MP# or entering the # and THEN the zip code to verify?

jbcarioca, Flyer1976 and IDGflygirl like this.
  22. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup I know my # is in the MP Profile accurately yet every time I call it asks me for that inf:rolleyes:rmation.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:

My number is recognized automatically. I'm just asked to confirm that the profile is indeed mine.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same for me. And you don't have to wait to say yes. Pretty much as soon as the recording starts you can cut him off. :)

jbcarioca and ssullivan like this.
  25. esrfalco

esrfalco Active Member

Status Points:
    I travel internationally. My international mobile phone is pretty good establishing a voice connection, not as well with data. I'm glad to have a telephone backup methodology for checking flight status, e.g., while in the cab to the airport. Granted I don't find many occasions to use it, although I'm glad they still have it available. I think it's like having some candles and matches in the kitchen drawer in case of power failure.