Simple booking saga

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Aug 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, next month I am going to Burundi, but I have a conference to attend in Halifax, so I decided to book the conference as a stop on the way. Of course, the website booking engine can't handle quite that level of complexity, so I wound up calling Air Canada to book it. No worries. I had to call them to book the simpler YEG-BJM earlier this year. (Though now, inexplicably, the website can manage that itinerary.)

So, a simple multicity trip: YEG-YHZ (stop) YHZ-BJM; BJM-YEG.

Of course, I had worked out my itinerary in detail, because I knew what the answer woudl be: "There are no flights on that route." Once I told them the flight numbers, they suddenly discovered that there are flights on that route. There were even seats available. Great.

How much? $8000+.

Of course, earlier this year I booked three people for that price. Now it was just for one.

"Well, sir, it seems the YEG-YHZ leg is showing as Latitude and I can't find a lower fare."

OK, how much without that leg? $2000+

In other words, $6000 to fly YEG-YHZ.

Right. drop that one, book the rest and I'll see what I can do with a one-way on-line.

Full-fare J for the YEG-YHZ leg was showing as $1000 plus taxes. There was even a discounted J at $573 plus taxes. (I eventually booked T+ for $400 all in).

Which raises the question: where did that $6000 fare come from? :eek:

ACMM and canucklehead like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did everything get fared as Y because of that one leg to YHZ? Seems a bit daft but this is the only way I can see it being so costly!

ACMM and YULtide like this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who knows? Obviously there's something wonky at their end.

In the end, I even have one (very short) leg in J.

canucklehead and ACMM like this.
  4. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some version of this is almost certainly what happened. For some obscure reason on "complex" international itineraries the fare pricing system seems to like to find the highest fare class for any part of the trip and apply it to all segments.

The other possibility is that your fare included a carrier that doesn't cooperate with AC on the route resulting in a fare that is priced as two one-ways. This can happen even with Star Alliance "partners".

canucklehead and ACMM like this.
  5. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would the conference happen to be the one at the Westin in late September that I'm attending?

YULtide, canucklehead and ACMM like this.
  6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's at the Westin, though I think there are a couple of conferences there. I tried to book at the Westin a day early and couldn't get a room.