Silvers and E+ -- what's been your experience so far?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Sep 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having "downgraded" my wife from Gold to Silver for next year, I am curious what other Silver Premier status flyers have experienced so far regarding E+ availability. Most of the time, my wife's travelling with me (Plat next year), so it won't be an issue to get E+ at booking, but there will be a few solo trips.

hulagrrl210, sobore and 8MiHi like this.
  2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been silver for a few months now and have had no trouble getting E+ seats at T-24. I'm often getting two of them together without a problem. I am based at IAH and these have been domestic routes.

IkeEsq, guberif, hulagrrl210 and 5 others like this.
  3. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Almost alway in e+

I'll miss on the occasional Monday morning 7am regional flight

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If HMWT doesn't mind, I would like to add the question, "How many upgrades to F/BC have you received since the merger?" On PMCO I was silver for years, but still got quite a few upgrades. Now Platinum and soon to be 1K, I do get more (since the 3/3 dust has settled), but I have lost the ability to UG on my most frequent route: both directions between IAH and SJO. I was 100% on that route, even as silver on PMCO. Now I am at 0% and buying Z fares most of the time.

5. ckc123

ckc123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Getting E+ is one thing if it's a middle seat and another if it's an aisle or window depending on your preferences. I would rather stay in the back in an aisle then move to an E+ seat scrunched in the middle. I'll be testing this next month on my first flight on United since the beginning of the year. Silver here for this year and nothing for next and that's on purpose.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've recently sat in E+ middle, but will usually only do that on a short flight. Except for today, when Rick and I are flying double middles in E+ SFO-FRA.

8MiHi likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't mind that add-on question at all.

Do you have any idea why the upgrade success changed? I assume the cabin size stayed the same. Are they offering upgrades for cash that fill the cabin, or do more people use RPUs? (doubtful, since there are fewer going around). Or more paid premium travelers?

8MiHi and hulagrrl210 like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My sympathies. :(

9. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully your seats are in an exit row!

10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Combining and cutting flights and seats, selling UGs more aggressively and bringing on flyers from another airline where there might not have been a comparable flight.
    I may not currently be silver, but I always got an UG (at all elite levels including Bronze with certificates in the mid 90s) on my Chicago (all airports) - EWR trips. Now as a Gold I count myself lucky when I find my name on the first page of eligibles. The combined traffic to Chicago includes a massive increase in GS and 1K flyers from EWR.

11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is my guess: Pre-merger, United didn't fly to Costa Rica. That meant that any MP members traveling here was *A Gold at best. Post-merger, a lot of PMUA customers are now higher in status, exploring "new" destinations thus adding to the traffic and many PMCO customers are now higher in status, too, as their combined mileage puts them there.

The other, more cynical (but real) view is that UA is holding onto the seats longer trying to push the UGs. I have connected in Houston to find that nothing was available, even though I had left my originating city as number one on the list less than a couple of hours prior, knowing that they had 3, 4 or 5 open BC seats before I flew my connection. With that knowledge, I declined the $$ UGs, as I looked more than likely to clear.

I have learned. I feel like Pavlov's dog in saying this, but now I either buy the Z tickets when I book, or pay to UG an E+ ticket to BC when I'm really not in the mood to be stuffed in coach for the last 4 hours of the trip home. It kills me to admit this publicly, as I fear that Smisek is reading this personally, laughing while he thinks, "My plan is working!"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........................ :mad:

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not exit-row eligible (handicapped).

13. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I didn't realize that. Hope you had a comfortable and safe journey.

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    As comfortable as one can be. Even got some good sleep for a couple of hours. :-: