silver upgrades are possible.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Photonerd71, Oct 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK had a IAH-CLT trip planned for a while (going to NASCAR race). Got the email this am saying I've been upgraded. Due to truck issues I had to fly from ATL to Houston on Tuesday (the tickets were at my house) and got upgraded on that flight also. True, both are/were on RJ's and not a 787 but, a seat up front is still a seat up front.

Guess i should enjoy them as i won't requal silver this year. Unless i do a major IAH-ORD-HkG and back in business class in Jan and Qual as a birthday gift to myself. :)

2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear that Silvers are still receiving some sign of recognition. I was Silver for years, and it wasn't bad at all on CO. 25,000 miles per year is more than the average person flies. That's why they made Silver an elite status in the first place.

I would feel really cheated if my travel hadn't increased and I had remained Silver. With all of the Golds, Platinums, 1Ks and GSs on these forums, it's easy to think of Silvers as infrequent travelers, but you're not. You just aren't being driven crazy as often as most of us.

I pay for my tickets with company money, but I own the company, so it is my money. It was easy to spend thousands of dollars per year going where I had to go, and the few perks that came with Silver status were nice - and earned.

3. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    All of my travel is out of my pocket and for pleasure. I also don't get all worked up if I don't get upgraded, if I really want to fly up front I (gasp) will actually buy a ticket up there. But, because of my schedule I'm able to take time off whenever I want so I'm able to fly at off peak times so that increases my odds of a free bump up front. (even out of IAH). Also id I don't get silver, I still have "aluminum" as I like to call it. I have the Presidential Plus card. So I get most of the benefits anyway. (minus the rdm bonus and free upgrades). I have the older one that gets the flex eqm's so I'll start next year with about 3k flex ones in the bank.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because of my pattern of traveling I did *not stay silver for very long but what I liked about that status back when was the ability to get E+ at booking -- it easily trumped every other perk and would still do even now were it still available.

*edited to insert "not"

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. E+ would be fine with me if I were only flying around the 25K/year mark. I was stunned when I saw that they had yanked that and the extra bag from those still flying with all their loyalty on UA. As much as I dislike AA - and that is a LOT - I would have switched back over that, as I will if my travel pattern ever slows down to that level again. (After I burn all my UA miles, that is.) :D