Silver Status Trial

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by youpaiyou, Jun 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello:

I recently enrolled in a Silver Status Trial with United. In the next 90 days, I need to fly "7,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 8 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) on flights operated by United®, United Express® or Copa within that 90-day timeframe." My question to all of you concerns the following language, which is part of the Silver Status Trial offer I accepted:

"Please note that qualifying activity for this promotion includes only base PQM/PQS and class-of-service bonus PQM/PQS earned on flights operated by United, United Express or Copa, and credited to your MileagePlus account. Any other bonus PQM/PQS, promotional PQM/PQS, credit card PQM, or PQM/PQS earned on other Star Alliance carriers do not count toward qualification for this promotion."

I will be flying from SAN to MCO and back next month for a total of 4,200 miles. I can double my miles through the award accelerator, which will put me over 7,000 miles. Will doing this satisfy the trial?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so Tim.

I'm pretty sure for the challenge you have to actually fly the stated amount BIS (Butt in seat).

youpaiyou likes this.
  3. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought by Silver status trial you meant you got the Chase UA Explorer card. This seems a lot harder!

theBOAT

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

youpaiyou likes this.
  4. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:

Shoot! I was hoping to complete the trial on one trip!

5. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:

It's not that hard, really. I didn't have status with any airline until I jumped on the Virgin Atlantic promo. I used my Virgin Atlantic status to apply for the UA silver status challenge.

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cost of reward accelerator PQMs would not offer the value you're seeking anyway. The Silver benefits on UA are minimal, and would not offset the cost of buying PQMs for your flight, IMHO.

If you can find a good mileage run during that time, your payoff would be much greater AND cheaper. Check out the Mileage Run forum here and on the other FF site for deals that will make it a snap. I earned over 5,000 PQMs flying DFW-IAH-SJU-IAH-DFW earlier this year for $133. Same earnings for FLL-IAH-SFO-IAH-FLL for $212 (done in one LONG day).

It shouldn't be too hard to find a good MR out of LAX in a 90 day window. If not "good," it would at least be cheaper than the accelerator cost. All you'll need is the day or two free that it will take to do the flying.

webdes03, MX, youpaiyou and 1 other person like this.
  7. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd agree with Ken... I've been UA silver for 3 years, actually have a chance to hit gold this year (with a couple MRs). The only real perk to Silver over just getting a credit card, is the better award availability offered to elites vs. non-elites. My upgrade percentage last year was about 30%... this year it's about 12%. Upgrades as silver are almost non-existent these days (I got upgraded a lot more as CO silver, but that was before our FF program had more members than France has residents).

Silver is really just an honorary status that recognizes you're (slightly) more important than the casual annual traveler. The fact that CC holders are in the same boarding group as us pretty much mitigates any real benefit, except for the remote chance of an upgrade.

I had a heavy travel H1 this year. I did 44 segments in all of 2012, but I'm up to 35 and it's only mid-June. H2 will have considerably less travel, but I'm quite tempted to invest in a couple MRs just to get to gold. The girlfriend and I are planning a couple big trips next year, likely to China and/or Dubai, so getting to gold may be worth it.

youpaiyou likes this.
  8. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're missing probably the biggest benefit of Silver (which is what I am) - free E+. Especially for international flights, this is a big benefit that you don't get with the cc.

youpaiyou likes this.
  9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but you can buy it. Buying up to E+ is much cheaper than buying 4000 PQMs for someone who flies only frequently enough to reach Silver status.

I realize that you were replying to webdes, but since we are on the same page in our thought processes, I just thought I would share the reason for my position. I didn't miss the E+ value, but rather thought that it was disproportionate to the cost of buying PQMs. PLUS, if you buy up, you can choose your seat instead of waiting for the 24 hour window and ending up in a middle seat.

BuckleandBoots and webdes03 like this.
  10. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

Oh I didn't forget about that "perk". On popular routes, E+ at D-24 isn't all that likely. I can honestly say that in the last 6 months, I've only managed it 6 times (out of 36 segments). I primarily fly through IAD, and at least on regional flights where the elite pool of gold and higher is so large, it's just not that valuable IMO.

11. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard that from others, but it's never been my experience. I live in UA hub (DEN) and have always gotten E+ aisle seat. Flew NRT-SIN-HKG-SFO-DEN a few weeks ago, and landed prime E+ seat on every flight. Again, YMMV, but for me this is the single biggest reason to keep Silver.

12. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, the "hope" of a CPU always keeps the adrenaline going :) Rarely delivers, but I've had it happen a few times. (chance of a CPU without status = 0%) :)

13. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

Big case of YMMV. If you can get it, it is a big perk... especially on those international flights. I've had horrible success on my 100% full CRJ/Q400/ERJ flights.

I don't live in a hub city, but RDU is a fairly large market (direct SFO, DEN, etc.). One of the things that disappoints me with UA lately is our huge reliance on regional aircraft. A year ago, we had A320 service to IAD. Now it's all Q400 and CR7. Our IAH flights are E145s, ORD is CR7, EWR is Q400. Obviously the Airbus services weren't making them enough money, but the fact that US flies A321s to CLT, Delta flies 737's and MD88s to ATL, AA flies 737s and MD88's to hubs, and we're stuck on Q400's and CRJ's is strange to me. I fly to major cities (ATL, ORD, NYC, etc.), but I can honestly say in my 35 segments this year, only 5 have been on mainline aircraft. If you fly regionally, chances for E+ at D-24 are pretty rare since the flight is likely already booked full.

14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a lot of flying to only be Silver. I don't go to Asia, so I have no experience with those routes, and my Silver days were on CO. Silver with CO had some real value, as there weren't 50 million elites. ;)

Clearly that would be nice. Not having a crystal ball, however, it's hard to place enough value to justify any significant expense to achieve the "hope" of a CPU. Particularly when one doesn't fly quite frequently, in which case this would be a moot point.

I fly Copa pretty often, and I can attest to the fact that anyone who has Silver status can count on fairly reliable CPUs between MCO & PTY. At least on weekdays. JFK to PTY, however, would be a bit of a challenge, and I've not flown their other US destinations into PTY (although I will plan on it next year when I'll be living in Medellin). As a 1K, CPUs are almost automatic on any Copa flight, and I frequently see empty seats in the front cabin within Latin America.

Webdes is right that it's a YMMV situation, as are most. Location, location, location.

15. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Asian flights were an early Father's Day gift, to coincide with the (re)inaugural ANA 787 SJC-NRT flight. It was awesome.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  16. Gunner14

Gunner14 Active Member

Status Points:
    Were you able to status match without a physical Virgin Atlantic silver membership card? If so, how?

youpaiyou likes this.
  17. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, dansdeals.com has a step-by-step on how to do it.

In a nutshell, take a screen shot of your VA account and email it to United.

18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now why didn't my daughter think of that. :(

guberif likes this.