Silver Medallion Now, or Wait Until Next Year

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by LarryInNYC, Dec 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newbie question here.

I'm about 2,500 miles away from renewing my Silver Medallion status.

If I allow my miles to roll over to next year and then fly the miles I need for Silver early in the year, when would my Silver Medallion renewal status take effect and when would it end? For instance, if I fly the miles in January, will I become Silver again as soon as those miles post, or do I need to wait until 2013 for the status to take effect? And if the status becomes effective as soon as I go over 25,000 miles (including rollover) will my status last through the end of 2013 or just through 2012? And is the expiration of elite status at December 31st, or sometime in January or February?

I recall reading some time ago that elite status becomes effective as soon as you earn it (so that earning it early in the year effectively gives you two years of status) and that it doesn't expire until February of the year after the full year you have it for. Unfortunately, a quick google is not finding an answer to "When does airline elite status become effective".

If this is true, it would seem to be to be a no-brainer to let me miles roll-over, re-qualify in January, and have unbroken Silver status through 2013 with the possibility of earning the next higher status in 2012.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i thought you could get a rollover if you already qualified for status? if you have 24000 elite miles on dec 31, you would have 0 on jan 1, but if you have 26000 on dec 31 then you have 1000 on jan 1, yes?

kyunbit and tomphot like this.
  3. tomphot

tomphot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct!

Titans26 likes this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but I have 22,508 miles. I'm thinking it might make more sense for me to roll over that amount until next year and the re-qualify in January or February (especially since it will be difficult for me to do it this year). That way (if the status becomes effective immediately) I'll get two years worth of status for a single flight, not one.

5. lycidas1

lycidas1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you only roll over miles earned in excess of 25,000, even if you have status this year. I'd go for it before Dec. 31.

Titans26 and kyunbit like this.
  6. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i don't think you understood my example.

if you do nothing, you get nothing next year. You can't roll over anything below 25k. you have to get above 25k if you want a roll over

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, you're saying that if I don't earn at least Silver, those miles under 25,000 will be lost, rather than rolled over? Looking at the program description it sounds like that may, in fact, be correct. Oh oh.

8. lycidas1

lycidas1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Hop on that plane ASAP. Or just buy them.

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, poor reading on my part -- your explanation was clear. Apologies.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    And now we see that FT and MP give the same answer.

11. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    semi related to the OP. i was only just under 2500 short of silver. had been debating on whether to just let the status slide (Plat to nothing) or go for it. finally decided to just go ahead and buy the EQMs. that will give me another year to reevaluate my travel via DL.

good luck OP with your decision.

12. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    probably a smart decision, Blue, if you value your time during the holiday season.

no one should be complaining, come january, if they fell short by only a couple thousand miles. DL has created an out to not bump up anyone who is borderline to an elite level

13. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to start any wild speculation, but I would wait at least a couple days before booking a delta run. Just incase AA started a trend with their double status miles program. Remember delta could match the double part, but make it only for travel that is booked after you register. Not saying any of this will happen, but if United and US match, even though DL can point to roll over as a reason they don't need to match, they might feel the heat.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, there have been some DL promos that stated this requirement but failed to enforce it, giving the miles credit to all who registered and flew during the period. I am thinking especially of the Together We Fly Delta promo which was so badly managed that any trip vaguely meeting the time parameters was counted, including those that were not roundtrips.

15. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, reviewing my Skymiles account in trying to decide whether to "fly or buy" the miles I needed to re-qualify for Silver, I noticed that I was missing credit for a Rome to JFK flight last summer. They told me it would take "up to seven business days" to post, but in fact it posted in about ten minutes -- and I'm now requalified.

Lesson learned? Check your account!

lycidas1 likes this.