Silver Medallion -- Economy Comfort Free?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by UltranerdX, Nov 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone! I booked a KLM flight (IAD > AMS > GVA) last night on Delta.com, and it allowed me to select KLM's Economy Comfort seats on the WAS > AMS leg without charging me extra. My understanding was that only Platinum Medallions got that benefit, so I'm wondering a) if I'm wrong, and b) if I should expect for someone to make me pay extra when I check in at the airport. Any feedback is appreciated :)

2. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    Should've put KLM In the thread title--sorry in advance for any confusion!

3. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know, sometimes seat maps are strange that was especially on KLM. Perhaps their policy is different. I know for DL the new policy is that for FOs the EC seats are available for free at check-in. How many days til departure?

4. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have found that what delta shows your seating assignment as and what the partner seat assignment is as two separate things. I would call and confirm your seat with KLM. On two separate occasions, once on AS and once on AF, what showed up on the Delta website was not what they had me assigned to.

While you have KLM on the phone, you can confirm the EC policy and pricing with them.

brfort likes this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL and KL DO NOT communicate very well when it comes to seat assignments. Use the KL site to select your seat assignments -- in many cases, DL FF'ers report the seat assignments on dl.com DO NOT hold.

That said, KL does charge for Silver Medallions to get access to EC seats.

6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Per the DL EC Site, Silvers get 50% off domestic and 25% off international EC seats.

7. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    As pointed out, do confirm a seat with the airline anytime you're on AF or KLM. Both have communication issues.

8. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    79 days

9. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll call KLM and try to confirm.

10. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just went through this last weekend. As said above, DL and KL don't communicate very well. Unfortunately, you won't be sitting in EC. I recommend selecting a non-EC seat of your choice now since when you check in, KL will randomly select any old seat for you. Also frustratingly, DL will still show you in the EC seat you previously selected.

11. I'm in the same situation. I selected an economy comfort seat on KLM on delta's website and got it with no charge presumably on the basis of my silver medallion status. When I checked my reservation on the KLM site it showed the same seat as on the Delta flight. My fare is discounted economy so I know its not related to the fare. I'm also concerned that I will show up at the airport and be bumped into a random economy

12. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    The moral of the story seems to be that we need to select new regular economy seats (and potentially contact KLM to confirm) so that we get what we actually want. Lame!!

13. Yep. FYI I first called Delta and the person I spoke with said that I was able to select the Economy Comfort seat on the basis of my Silver status. But she seemed hesitant. Then I called the KLM number which apparently is essentially Delta by a different name for all practical purposes and was told essentially the same thing. Lastly, I went to the KLM site and tried to move my seat to another Economy Comfort seat as a test and sure enough it tried to charge me. So while on the KLM site I selected another ordinary coach seat and when I checked the Delta site my seat had been moved accordingly. It looks like Delta and KLM have some kinks to work out.