Silver is not so bad

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TravelBear, May 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the last 2 weeks I have had 3 confirmed upgrades as Silver. Two of those included upgrades with my partner in tow. This has been helpful with getting him more on board for the " points thing".

2. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Companion upgrades are not a published benefit for silvers.

TravelBear, mo26 and Kalboz like this.
  3. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, companion upgrades are now a published benefit for Silver Medallion members. Now, how often they happen is another discussion.

4. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    FO has been good to me esp now that YWG has 2 class service and almost no DL medallions... it all depends on the route.

Gargoyle and TravelBear like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's different for award tickets, but FOs can upgrade a companion if both are on tickets paid with money and the companion has a DL FF number.

MJonTravel and TravelBear like this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you been going to Mexico and the Caribbean? I know those routes sometimes even go out with empty F seats.

Flyer1976, Gargoyle and TravelBear like this.
  7. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    And apparently on the same PNR. I don't think I've gotten a single upgrade since dropping to silver a couple of years back.

TravelBear likes this.
  8. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Neither have I... but that's easily explicable because I haven't flown a "regular" revenue DL itin for more than two years.

I've flown some DL but all have been irregular itins e.g. AF misfiled W, SWU'ed to Z - in certain cases where the [​IMG] best in class [​IMG] SWU handling didn't f things up but even if not, still in AF PV - or paid BE to/from RGN. Muahaha! Not caring about DL status is fabulously liberating, and when expectations are zero, there's no chance of service failing to meet such expectations.

9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not so true....@Deltaassist has solved this in the past for me

Flyer1976, Gargoyle and TravelBear like this.
  10. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    CLT>DTW>SFO>MSP>CLT. Two of us on non-refundable CHEAP tickets. Upgraded on CLT-DTW and MSP-CLT. Yes, partner has a FF account but not even close to any kind of medallion level. The nice thing too was the SFO-MSP leg was maybe 50% full so we had no one at window.

I always keep expectations low so I am pleasantly surprised. Life is generally less stressful that way.

skyvan, Flyer1976, Gargoyle and 3 others like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think being on the same PNR is required, although in that case you must call DL to request the upgrade.

MJonTravel likes this.
  12. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are on a separate PNR, even as Silver Medallion, just call, or better yet, Tweet @DeltaAssist to request an upgrade for your companion.

13. flightnurse

flightnurse Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats, and you deserve it....

14. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And crowing about it on a message board... every single post... regardless of actual value of input... shows everyone the all-encompassing level of your "not caring". The only way you could show your "not caring" any more eloquently is to actually not care enough to waste your time on such a thing.

But keep doing so, good sir. Your constant "not caring" is one of the high points of my signature line.

redtailshark likes this.
  15. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can count on a couple upgrades a year as a FO (why isn't it SM, btw? Because that would be too confusing with Skymiles?), particularly if traveling on three day weekends. SLC-MSP-DCA last Memorial Day weekend and DCA-MSP-PHX, ATL-DCA last Labor Day weekend. Then I get occasional BWI/DCA-ATL, particularly traveling on Saturday, and when a couple flukey ones show up (SLC-PDX, RDU-JFK-BWI) I get excited. It's a fun thing to check on the days leading up to the flight, and I enjoy the chase even when I don't make it.

Now whether I'm willing to spend 2500$ on Delta next year to make it happen is another story

16. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is great to hear. I'm contemplating going for FO this year as a secondary plan. Being NYC based, DL is very convenient. Clearly great for business travel, but also for leisure, with a late flight out of JFK to LAS and unbeatable service to SLC (I like to ski)

17. joeheg

joeheg Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I've heard it said, Silver medallion is better than a kick in the teeth. We thought it was much better. We got upgraded on about 50% of our flights, most leaving MCO of Friday or Monday. The mileage bonus for our flight to Hawaii on Alaska in first was almost enough to get us silver for the following year. The best part was getting though on the phone right away and rebooking flights due to a tropical storm. We got seats on the first flight the next morning confirmed with first class upgrade and no fee due to the weather. We don't have silver anymore because DL didn't fit in our mostly leisure travel plans but I'd take it again in a second over nothing.

redtailshark likes this.
  18. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been flying so much paid BE - to and from RGN - that I missed your post here.

:p "Crowing about" stuff on message boards is why we're all here... you included. You haven't differentiated your actions here from mine, by using that statement. True, you may wish to present DL SM apologism and I don't, but the modality of INet social media is the same for all of us.... sharing our views.

In another way, you are correct, that not caring at all means I would not bother wasting time and electrons with these posts. So I must be more precise. I don't care that DL diminishes the value of DL SM program but from my perspective, I do care about its effects on my travel and it's worth commenting on even when I don't fly DL - see below. Don't forget, I have a permanent - or should that be "Complimentary Annual" stake in this here :rolleyes:

In fact, I agree with the premise of the OP - FO is quite handy, but for me not as a primary status or a revenue-driver. Since it costs me nothing to maintain, it permits DL to compete against locos for emergent biz, as long as such DL flying doesn't imperil my main status on UA and as long as DL's offering costs no more than LCCs or OALs.

FO status makes DL a meaningful Kayaking option in the Brave New World, vs. OALs with whom I have no status - e.g. if UA can't serve me, or their demands are way out of line (i.e. double the cost or more) WN bag fees are still better (2 vs 1 checked waiver as FO) but at least it means DL is worth considering against WN, or B6 or perhaps AA, on whom I have no status yet. I will never choose a DL itin against UA while1K requal is not assured, however.

That's what FFP are supposed to do - drive marginal revenue across all segments of the customer base. That maximizes the net income delta, systemwide. As long as bennies are decent, then this works. See above.

Now to adopt Bubbaspeak. As MQD thins the herd and even DL apologists find the uselessness and mendacity of the SM system intolerable, there could be increasingly better bennies at FO level.... for....me! Muahaha! Point to ponder: I'll remain a Medallion long after some of the recent apologists have recanted and quit SM in disgust...or, more likely, until Jeff's next program rescission.

DiverDave likes this.