SILVER BENEFITS?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Navysuby3, Oct 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Navysuby3

Navysuby3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been a Silver member for 2 years now, and hardly seems like i get upgrades or notice the difference from general. Granted Silver is not the high up, but my current schedule does not allow much time off. Is there a trick to the trade I am missing?

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, especially not with marriott. Silver is just to make you believe you are getting something special, when in reality they give you nothing.

tommy777, wheat27 and alohastephen like this.
  3. Navysuby3

Navysuby3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL well it worked, i did feel special. Thanks for the heads up.

4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally, Marriott is one of the hardest to get any real meaningful benefits from. Hilton requires 16 stays to get Gold, but I've actually been real happy with Hyatt for at least giving the main good benefit for Platinum members (their equivalent to Silver), and it only requires 5 stays.

5. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a plat with Marriott, and with the exception of Lounge access, I don't notice any difference than when I was a peon.

6. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coming from PriorityClub Platinum, I can tell you there is a world of nothing at Marriott Silver

MalcoveMagnesia likes this.
  7. I'm platinum and it means nothing! I am rarely offered an upgrade. Time to look at another chain!

8. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try IHG. Points earn quickly and Platinum always got me upgraded without asking. Just be sure to sign up for the promotions and you can be platinum with just a few stays.

9. frugal_and_savvy

frugal_and_savvy Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm a 50+ guy with Marriott and I agree that the benefits are minimal for leisure travel -- lounge access during the business week is nice, though. For me, though, Marriott's head and shoulders lead in staff at the mid range brands is a discriminator despite the limited benefits program.

10. Andrew72681

Andrew72681 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Silver is basically only good for a free bottle of water and slight point increases.

11. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    dogwalker likes this.
  12. dogwalker

dogwalker Active Member

Status Points:
    Just stayed 5 nites at a Marriott. I'm a gold member, but the hotel declined to offer the upgrade or the 20% coupon. Apparently, Marriott managers can choose to ignore the Rewards if they wish. Bad deal. Think I'll go back to Hilton.

13. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that Silver does not offer a lot of benefit..but I wouldn't be so quick to write Marriott off. They offer some things which other chains do not- like gaining Lifetime Status. They also have the largest number of properties of all the major chains....so there will (almost) always be one where you want to go, allowing you to build your point balance faster. Consistency is another plus for Marriott, as is the depth of their brands...high end to low and everything in between.

Depending on how often you have to stay in a hotel, those things are important. I also like the fact that in almost all properties, you can cancel as late as 4 or 6PM on the same day..this is going the way of the dodo bird, but is important if your plans change often.

On the other hand, upgrades are NOT good at Marriott, so if that is all you care about, it is not the chain for you.

To get value from Marriott, one really needs to try to hit GOLD. This is more easily done if one has the credit card...we have friends who actually only stay about 15-18 nights per year, but they are consistently Gold through use of the card.

After 20 years+ of travel, I can honestly say that the most important thing about a loyalty program is whether you actually like the hotel properties. if you hate where you stay.....who cares about an upgrade? If the properties are not that great- do you really want to take your family vacation in them?

Kalboz likes this.
  14. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    What 20% coupon? And upgrades are not a part of the :rolleyes: program...

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Golds get awesome treatment in Asia Pacific region including access to some of the best lounges in the Marriott system. See here for JW Marriott Bangkok: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/4105553955/
    See here for the Renaissance Bangkok: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5223995988/

Also, from Silver you can sprint to Gold or Platinum by asking for either the taste of Gold or Platinum challanges. 12 nights to get Gold and 18 nights to clinch Platinum. Therefore, the Silver is a step towards achieving a higher/better status ... and as Jim Morrison said: No time to wallow in the mire ;)
    [​IMG]
    Marriott Resort & Spa Hua Hin: An awesome property :)

16. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Couldn't disagree more. Just even more useless than Marriott Plat and Gold. Even Hyatt Plat gets better benefits than Priority Pass Plat and Gold.

Royal Ambassador, that's where it's at for IHG

Kalboz likes this.
  18. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the recent devaluations (RA's may not get benefits on award stays), my attitude may be changing. The only thing I dislike about Marriott is their website and redeeming certificates by having to call in. I am going to get my Platinum status real quick here at IHG (60,000 is quite easy to get to with all the promos they do) and then start shopping around for something else.

I know nothing of Hyatt, so I need a little education. although after a quick glance, 15 nights to Plat is quite easy for me and 50 wouldn't be that hard also as I already hotel jump with IHG (60 last year). Although it appears they have no properties in the Caribbean :(