Silliness in Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Avis | First/Preferred' started by ChicagoEric, May 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Walked to the preferred counter and saw a line. As no paperwork for any of the rentals had been done (I know, shocking), the 5-deep line took me 10 minutes to get to the front.

Paperwork processed, I am handed a form, in triplicate, with a diagram of a car on it.

AVIS: Just sign at the bottom.
    ME: What am I signing?
    AVIS: You're signing for the condition of the car.
    ME: I haven't seen the car.
    AVIS: If there's a problem you can come back.
    ME: [looking over my shoulder, not excited to stand in line again] Since when do I have to sign for the condition of the car at Avis?
    AVIS: It's been company policy for over a year.
    ME: I've never had to sign at any other location.
    AVIS: Everyone is supposed to do it, lot's of places just choose not to.

So, is this really a new policy? I thought the whole point of Preferred service was that I could go to my car and go. Doing the whole walk-around is all very Enterprise-like. And kind of pointless as the garage was quite dark and I couldn't really see.

Before I left the counter, I was treated to my favorite question (which I seem to get every time I have to go to the counder - which is not infrequently):

AVIS: Do you still need the GPS?

The answer to that is always YES. I have all but had it tattood on my Avis First profile, but I still get asked every single time. For what they charge, the GPS rentals have got to be one of the top money-makers for the firm - why keep trying to get me to turn it down. Are they that short on them?

Shockingly, I got a very old GPS unit (not flat screen) that had old maps and didn't really work.

2. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have never had an experience where they asked me to sign a condition report before seeing the car. Either they have had some issues with previous rentals, or the agent was improperly trained. I have made it a point to examine cars more thoroughly now, and bring obvious damage to THEIR attention even if they miss it before I leave the lot.

That said, with regard to the GPS, you might want to consider the native GPS on your phone if you have a smartphone-usually more accurate, the maps are downloaded, and up to date, and they give current traffic...services such as AT&T Navigator, Verizon's VZ Navigator or even Google Maps has nav capability I think. Fees run between $6 and $10 a month for some but it beats paying for a Nav every time you rent -- although if you were high up in status they should comp you.

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always examine the cars thoroughly, but I've never been asked to sign anything before seeing it. Not sure if the OP's question was about the policy (signing) or examining.

Agree 100%. Unless you have a really old phone -- or really inconvenient phone with a small screen -- it doesn't make sense to rent a unit from the agency. Nowadays even tablets come with GPS support, so you could have Google Maps on a huge screen with 100% up to date maps, directions and traffic conditions.

If you have an Android tablet it's even better since Google Maps is much better on those than the version they provide to RIM or Apple.

4. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The interesting thing was the insistance that this was a AVIS-wide policy.

All joking aside, if there is any truth to this it is a step towards Enterprise. Nothing wrong with Enterprise but it is a different rental experience.

5. I have traveling to PIT frequently and this new triplicate form is a real pain. I hope they decide to drop this nonsense.They always have a long line at the preferred counter (which is outside and NOT fun in the winter) and then to have to waste more time with this form is really annoying.