Silkair - I just don't get the strategy?

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by eightblack, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I have been in Singapore for a long time. Since 1993 in fact. And I used to belong to KrisFlyer (even maintained PPS for 4 years). I've started flying to Cambodia a bit and my only real option is MI.

But I just don't get SQ's strategy with MI. What's the point? Why not just brand everything SQ. It's not like MI is a real LCC. They have J class (albeit pretty average). Pricing can be expensive. I'm also confused why they insist on using MI to many of the Indian cities.

The other thing that grates me is that they aren't a member of *A. Seems pointless. If you're travelling J (but not a PPS member) but a *A Gold member, you cant use the SKL. You can only use the SATS Gold lounge in T2

2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've taken MI several times on the opposite path as you. Often I find TG prices through BKK to be the same (sometimes cheaper) and I'll get miles and lounge access as well. At this point I'll occasionally keep tabs on MI to see what they're charging, but not with the expectation of purchasing a ticket from them.

3. WearyBizTrvlr
    Original Member

WearyBizTrvlr Active Member

Status Points:
    I regularly monitor SilkAir fares to various destinations around the region, but they are seldom even remotely competitive. On the occasions that I have used them I thought the in-flight product was pretty good, but typically not worth paying a large premium for.

As for the Indian destinations, I suspect it's just because the routes are too thin for a widebody, and since SQ doesn't do single-aisle planes, the routes go to MI by default. I agree it makes very little sense.

4. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    They serve 2 Indian destinations (MAA, BLR) in common with SQ, but they provide merely a second frequency 4-5x weekly vs. SQ serving them daily. The rest of their network (with the exception of BWN and KUL) is complimentary and there is no duplication with SQ. In addition, many of their destinations in China, Malaysia, Thailand, Nepal, and the Philippines were formerly seved by SQ, but probably handed to MI as they lacked the demand to justify a widebody.

I agree with eightblack and am very much surprised they are not in *A, even as an affiliate carrier such as the case with VO being an affiliate of OS and QK being an affiliate of AC.

5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    How I wish they were in *A. It would make departures from PNH that much easier. As it stands now we've 2 TG flights and 1 late night OZ flight that I try to avoid.

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish they were in *A as well- I always assumed that the reason Silk Air was set up the way it is relates to government approvals in certain countries- although this was really nothing more than a guess.

7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure of the validity of your guess. Many MI routes were taken over from SQ metal.

I'm thinking it has more to do with decreased financial liability in mileage accumulation, lounge access etc.