Signing up for credit cards while abroad

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by swngair, Jan 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. I'm going to be out of the US for the next six months, but I've been reading about this stuff and I want to start earning miles now :)

I'm assuming I would ask someone in the US to open the letters and activate the cards for me.

Has anyone done this and do you have any advice?

alohastephen likes this.
  2. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess that could be a possibility...they would just need to know your social, address, and DOB so that they would be able to activate the card. The other thing is meeting the spending requirements. If you trust the person back home to meet all the spending requirements to get the sign up bonus, just remember you are responsible for all the charges...

I dont know how CC companies handle applications that come from a foreign IP address, you might want to call them before you leave (unless you are applying before you leave) and ask. Thats my two cents. :)

alohastephen likes this.
  3. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been doing this from Japan for quite some time now.
    Have someone open up the cards back in the US and give you all the applicable numbers so that you can activate it by yourself via skype.

No problem applying from abroad. In my experience, the IP address has never been an issue. ;)

swngair likes this.
  4. The thing is, I'm already overseas. Doing the expat thing this year :)

I was assuming I would meet the spending limits with online purchases and transfers. That said, I still want to get the physical cards so I can use them in-person while traveling. Credit card companies are used to sending replacement cards abroad when people lose them while traveling, so I expect I could convince them to send one to a non-us address. Just wanted to hear if anybody has actually done this!

alohastephen likes this.
  5. Great, thanks for the info! And good idea about Skype.

Have you bothered to get physical cards sent to you?

alohastephen likes this.
  6. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have personally never had the physical card sent to me. Online transactions are usually good enough to make any spend requirements.

Just curious...what country will you be in?