Signing up for Avios account with British Air question...(Newbie)

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Free2travel, Mar 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Free2travel

Free2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,
    I don't have a British Air CC yet but I do have points in my AMEX program that I need to transfer somewhere before I close the card. My next churn will include the British Air CC so I thought I'd dump the points into the Avios program.

When I went to sign up it offered me two options. #1 - Avios points with BA.com only or #2 Executive Club. Am I missing something, is there a reason I wouldn't pick the Executive Club option?

Thanks for your advice!
    Michelle

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course, there's no such airline as "British Air". ;)

I don't know exactly what you've done and which websites you've looked at. But in all seriousness there's no such thing (or single thing) as "the Avios program". Avios is a currency, used by a number of different loyalty/reward schemes. It's the common currency of the British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Plus, avios.com and the Meridiana Club. Avios which are held in some of these schemes can sometimes be transferred to some of the other schemes, subject to conditions. But each scheme is different and has its own earn and burn rules.

Which of these sites did you go to? I'm not immediately sure which of these websites would have offered you what you say you saw.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just sign up on the BA site for the Executive Club (which uses Avios, as @Globaliser mentioned). Also, if you have family members who have BAEC accounts, you have the ability to 'household' them (& share the Avios, collectively). It's very easy to transfer AmEx MR pts to BAEC, once you have the account # & add it to your MR profile.

4. Free2travel

Free2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't mean to offend anyone by calling it British Air. I'm just lazy typing. I was on the British Airways site.

Thank you for answering my question. I will sign up for the Executive Club. I just had no clue why there was a chart comparing two types of membership. Of course, I can't find that chart now. Murphy's Law!