Signing baby up for Mileage Plus

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by hulagrrl210, Feb 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys,

Was just looking for guidance from other parents who have signed their babies up for any airline mileage programs. I know a few of them have min. age requirements (like 2 years which is when you have to stop the lap child thing). I'm planning on buying him his own seat from the start so I assume he should be able to get his own miles for the programs that don't have those restrictions. I wanted to sign him up for United immediately so he can get an actual UA number before they start forcing everyone to have a CO-style one with letters in it next month. (I'm sentimental like that). I noticed on the mileage plus website they want you to be 13 if you enter the optional birthday portion but I assume that is just one of those internet privacy things. Anyway, any tips, suggestions, etc are appreciated. Eventually he's going to get signed up for more programs (AS, AA, HA, etc) so any knowledge about some of the other airlines that I am a little less familiar with helps too! Mahalo!

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Congratulations!

I've heard of 2 and 3 year old platinums on DL, and I think there are even one or two who are diamond. Should be find with UACO.

alohastephen, cennas and hulagrrl210 like this.
  3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not all infants travel as lap children; I definitely know of wee ones with ff numbers.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing really to lose signing them up. I had my son signed up when he was well under 13.

5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! That is awesome! We are probably only looking at 2P for him on United...not like that means anything anymore though :rolleyes:
    He already flew 38,000+ miles in my belly. Wish we could get credit for that!

6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, shouldn't be an issue to leave out the birthday. However, your UA number will convert to the CO style in a couple weeks. My daughter earns miles on CO and she is two. She started earning at less than a year old.

7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't get signed up until age 3...which makes me think my parents were lying about my age to keep me as a lap child for as long as they could.

alohastephen, viguera and Gargoyle like this.
  8. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's cool! Thank you. I know he'll get a new number, I just wanted him to have an old one before they went away forever. :(

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're lucky, there weren't FF programs when I was 3. :)

We were frequent fliers, but my stepfather was a (private) pilot.

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    My son was signed up at day 1 (as he had a flight booked on day 5).

Of course, as he was on a one way ticket (f at least!), paid for by a third party and without checked bags, he got selected with the SSSS. The blue shirts at mem waived the search requirement that day. :)

11. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations hulagrrl210!

alohastephen and hulagrrl210 like this.
  12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    First, let me add my congratulations. Now, as to the 38,000 miles in your belly, I couldn't help but think of this story from the USAToday web site today: http://travel.usatoday.com/experts/...imits-for-carry-on-bags/53195650/1?csp=Travel . When I read your post just after seeing that article, I wondered if "oversized belly" fees may be next :(

13. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should absolutely sign up your kids asap. My eldest, now 14, has over 400,000 miles in his MP account (his primary account) about 320,000 in his Emirates account and few thousand here and there in minor accounts (some of which have undoubtedly expired because I was not managing them correctly). It's easier if you can stick to one or two accounts.

14. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    When we finally get around to having some, my kids will have FF accounts, if for no other reason than I'm not going to fly without buying them their own seat. Working engineering support for aircraft repairs, I've seen what turbulence can do. Daddy's arms are not a good enough restraint device for my kids....

15. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    Big thumbs up for your post. From the time our daughter was just a baby, we bought a ticket and had her in the age-appropriate car seat on the plane. I would no more put my child on my lap for a flight than I would put her on my lap while in the car. I realize buying that extra ticket isn't cheap, but my kid's safety is priceless.

16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    My daughter already has over 100,000 AA miles and probably about 30,000 UA miles. She's 5 and has had an AA account for as long as I can remember.

Quoting the Frugal Travel Guy, "If a miles-earning offer is good enough for you, it's good enough for your entire family."

hulagrrl210 and miles and smiles like this.
  17. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sign up for awardwallet.com, too, and manage all your family accounts there. If we buy a ticket on anything that earns points (air, train) or there is a free promo going that's open to minors, my kids are signed up and earn the points.

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    No better advice out there. This is probably the biggest single reason I signed up for Award Wallet. Makes it so easy to keep track of the entire family.

Without it, I doubt I would be as ambitious about maxing out promos for everyone in the family. Because of it, I will surely tackle Grand Slam for all of us if it happens this year.

19. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is such an awesome thread. I just told my wife about it, and she responded, "I don't know anyone who would be crazy enough to do that." Then she threw the shifty eye glance at me. ;)

We don't have kids yet, but you better believe they'll be getting Platinum status before they can say "Gold."

20. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting thread. My youngest (of four) had travelled to 4 continents by 3months, but we still paid for infant in lap (even in C) - because they're in the basinet most of the time if you time the flight right. She's 7 months now, and we still havent considered getting a separate seat, so no mileage accounts yet. Ironically- the infant seat (in lap) has ended up being the most expensive ticket on a family trip, because they charge at 10% of the quoted Face value. (And of course I paid less than 10% of the $22k face for the rest of our family's tickets from london to auckland in business)....

21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    So how many credit cards does your daughter have?

22. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Chuckle, none yet, though tempted. I do sign her up for tons of promo offers and she has a bunch of nifty stamps in her passport. If not for the fact that she normally flies on an award, she'd probably be at 250K lifetime on AA.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it considered child abuse to prevent the daughter from having that progress toward lifetime status on AA or will she be forced to sue you later over this?

24. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Likely forced to sue, but a good question. Poor kid.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  25. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you live in a state with a "personhood" amendment? If so, I think you're (or rather hulagrrl210 jr is) entitled to those miles.

hulagrrl210 likes this.