Sicily

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by commander flatus, Jan 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. commander flatus

commander flatus Active Member

Status Points:
    Anyone with suggestions on things to do/see and where to stay in Sicily? Going for a week in March and just now starting the research.

Thanks!

NickM_LA likes this.
  2. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been there several times.... how long are you going for? what mode of transportation are you planning on there? what are your interests?

3. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have a library near by, see if they have a Rick Steves book on Italy. If the do, make copies of the Sicily pages (I find you look less like a tourist if you are just carrying around papers rather than the bulky tourism book). If you are feeling gutsy, I would say get off the plane/train/bus and locate the nearest tourist info kiosk and ask them what is necessary to see. I had a couple of friends who went there with no plans and they had a wonderful time.

commander flatus likes this.
  4. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Btw, Ill see if I can dig up any info for you and ask my friends for suggestions.

5. commander flatus

commander flatus Active Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I was overly broad with my opening question. Going for 6 days. Flying into Palermo. Renting a car. Like food and wine and the ocean.

Actually, I just love Italy and Italians in general. They know how to live... Went to Italy last year too. Think I'll make this an annual event.

6. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you staying in Palermo? If so, you really do not want to drive in Palermo. When we were there, we pretty much determined that it was a real life version of Mario Kart! Plus, parking was horrendous. Driving outside of the city was fine.

If you are getting a stick shift, make sure that you know how to put the car in reverse. You really don't want to be parked somewhere with an Italian yelling at you to move the car and not being able to go anywhere. Pushing down on the gear shift did not work - there was a silver ring at the bottom of the gear shift that had to be pulled up in order for it to shift into reverse.

Definitely go see the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento, it takes about 2 hours and the highway is quite good (at least in 2008). There are several hill towns and if you wanted to stop in one, you could look at Racalmuto.

There is not much of a tourist industry in Racalmuto, but there is a Church, Castle and fountains where you can see how they used to wash their clothes and water their horses. According to my relatives, the church holds a festival once a year where they ride horse up the steps to the church and the horses are blessed. When we were there, they definitely had siestas. The streets were fairly deserted in the middle of the afternoon.

Here is a website that talks about http://welcome-project.com/wp-conte...to Comprensivo Racalmuto - Marranca Italy.ppt Racalmuto.

I loved Taormina, however, it is on the other side of the island, so I do not know if you want to drive that far.

Do you have a hotel yet? We stayed at the Ambasciatori Hotel and the view from the breakfast terrace (included in the room rate) was wonderful. I was very surprised at the reasonable price of the hotel (in 2008 but it doesn't look like it has gone up much since then.)

You must have arancini while you are there. They are rice balls filled with ragu, cheese and peas, coated in breadcrumbs and fried. There are other variations as well. Our cousins made them for us, so I can't tell you where to get them, but I understand several cafes do serve them. The way that I understand it is that they are a street food and while they were made at home and in some food carts, they were not a restaurant food until very recently.

I hope that you have a great trip!

7. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Segesta
    Siracusa & Ragusa
    Taormina
    Palermo
    Agrigento
    Maybe drive around Mt. Etna